Quantcast

Access error on configure when trying to save

Access error on configure when trying to save

Vicki Brown
I have a client installing Foswiki on a hosted server running CentOS. He's gotten to the point where he is supposed to run configure for the first time and confirm the paths, as per http://foswiki.org/System/InstallationGuide#Configure_Foswiki

/bin/configure opens; he can see the fields; he clicks "Save Changes" and gets an error:

   Forbidden

   You don't have permission to access /bin/configure on this server.

   Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Considering that the error comes _after_ he's already accessed configure far enough to click the button, the error message is... misleading.

When we tried to create an empty LocalSite.cfg file to work with, we stopped getting the access error and got a different error.

I did a web search and found
    http://colas.nahaboo.net/twikiirc/bin/irclogger_log/twiki?date=2007-01-27,Sat

so someone had this problem before, long ago. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a solution in the chat log.

Lynnwood - Do you have any recollection of this?

The client has:

  all files installed under /home/user/public_html/kb/foswiki

  local .htaccess files for server configuration (no access to the primary Apache config files)

  bin/LocalLib.cfg has been set up as documented in http://foswiki.org/System/InstallationGuide (even athloough nothing has been moved)

  bin/.htaccess currently only contains
       SetHandler cgi-script

Permissions on the bin directory allow writing by owner.

Webserver is suid user for the hosting directory.
   userid = setthapa groups = setthapa, setthapa
   Your CGI scripts are executing as this user.

Web server environment looks reasonable

  DOCUMENT_ROOT        /home/setthapa/public_html/kb
  REQUEST_URI        /bin/configure
  SCRIPT_FILENAME /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin/configure
  SCRIPT_NAME        /bin/configure
  CGI bin directory /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin

  PATH_INFO is working correctly

There is nothing obvious in the error.log file (other than a "file not found" error for an error document 403.shtml).

I've asked the client to file a support ticket with the hosting service asking if they have anything in the suexec.log file.

What sort of issue would give a "you don't have permission to access" error for a file we're accessing in order to get that error?

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

Re: Access error on configure when trying to save

George Clark-2
Vicki,

I'm just grasping at straws a bit here, but some ideas are inline:

On 05/09/2014 12:56 AM, Vicki Brown wrote:
> I have a client installing Foswiki on a hosted server running CentOS. He's gotten to the point where he is supposed to run configure for the first time and confirm the paths, as per http://foswiki.org/System/InstallationGuide#Configure_Foswiki
>
> /bin/configure opens; he can see the fields; he clicks "Save Changes" and gets an error:
>
>    Forbidden
>
>    You don't have permission to access /bin/configure on this server.
Could there be something in the Apache configuration restricting the
method to GET vs. POST?    The Save Changes does a post, where as the
first run is a GET.   (It's the <Limit  or <LimitExcept   directive in
the Apache configuration.)

>    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
This one is an error in the Apache configuration for sure.   It's
important that any Error directives for the configure script call for a
default server response instead of redirecting to bin/view to render a
message.  ApacheConfigGenerator generates the ErrorDocument 401 default
to prevent that error.

    <FilesMatch "^(configure)$">
        SetHandler cgi-script
        Satisfy All
        ErrorDocument 401 default
    </FilesMatch>

> Considering that the error comes _after_ he's already accessed configure far enough to click the button, the error message is... misleading.
It's probably coming from Apache,  so not much Foswiki can do about it.

The only other things I can think of is possibly SELinux controls or
maybe there is some other external control to prevent certain actions by
the web server.

> When we tried to create an empty LocalSite.cfg file to work with, we stopped getting the access error and got a different error.
I don't think it's an issue

> I did a web search and found
>     http://colas.nahaboo.net/twikiirc/bin/irclogger_log/twiki?date=2007-01-27,Sat
>
> so someone had this problem before, long ago. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a solution in the chat log.
>
> Lynnwood - Do you have any recollection of this?
>

> The client has:
>
>   all files installed under /home/user/public_html/kb/foswiki
>
>   local .htaccess files for server configuration (no access to the primary Apache config files)
>
>   bin/LocalLib.cfg has been set up as documented in http://foswiki.org/System/InstallationGuide (even athloough nothing has been moved)
I've very seldom ever had to create a LocalLib.cfg.   You probably don't
need it, but I doubt that it hurts.

>   bin/.htaccess currently only contains
>        SetHandler cgi-script
There is a sample file:  bin-htaccess.txt    in the root of the install
that has the recommended directives for the bin/.htaccess file.  It
includes the recommended ErrorDocument default statement for example.
I'd suggest tailoring that file.

> Permissions on the bin directory allow writing by owner.
>
> Webserver is suid user for the hosting directory.
>    userid = setthapa groups = setthapa, setthapa
>    Your CGI scripts are executing as this user.
>
> Web server environment looks reasonable
>
>   DOCUMENT_ROOT        /home/setthapa/public_html/kb
>   REQUEST_URI        /bin/configure
>   SCRIPT_FILENAME /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin/configure
>   SCRIPT_NAME        /bin/configure
>   CGI bin directory /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin
>
>   PATH_INFO is working correctly
>

> There is nothing obvious in the error.log file (other than a "file not found" error for an error document 403.shtml).
>
> I've asked the client to file a support ticket with the hosting service asking if they have anything in the suexec.log file.
>

> What sort of issue would give a "you don't have permission to access" error for a file we're accessing in order to get that error?
My guess is on either Apache restricting POST vs. GET,   or something
external like SELinux, or even some sort of IDS / IPS system applying
that control.

> -- Vicki
>   cfcl.com/vlb
>   twitter.com/vlb

Re: Access error on configure when trying to save

Colas Nahaboo
I kind of recall that saying that all files in bin/ on one of my server were to be executed as CGI solved an error that could be related
May be you try this:

# These 2 lines created by the Apache Configurator yields "web not founds" errors
## Alias /bin/configure "/www/wiki/bin/configure"
## Alias /bin "/www/wiki/bin/foswiki.fcgi"

# I had to replace them with:
ScriptAlias /bin "/www/wiki/bin"

Colas

Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Access error on configure when trying to save

Vicki Brown
> My guess is on either Apache restricting POST vs. GET,   or something
external like SELinux, or even some sort of IDS / IPS system applying
that control.

I understand GET vs POST and that's a good thing to check.

I don't know what SELinux, IDS, or IPS are...

Can you point me to explanations?

> There is a sample file:  bin-htaccess.txt    in the root of the install
> that has the recommended directives for the bin/.htaccess file.  It
> includes the recommended ErrorDocument default statement for example.
> I'd suggest tailoring that file.

Yes. We plan to ... after we get configure working.

I made up a LocalSite.cfg file and sent it to the client to install manually. Now the error from configure is

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, [hidden email] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

On May 8, 2014, at 22:25 , George Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>  SCRIPT_NAME        /bin/configure
>>  CGI bin directory /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin
>>
>>  PATH_INFO is working correctly
>>

>> There is nothing obvious in the error.log file (other than a "file not found" error for an error document 403.shtml).
>>
>> I've asked the client to file a support ticket with the hosting service asking if they have anything in the suexec.log file.
>>

>> What sort of issue would give a "you don't have permission to access" error for a file we're accessing in order to get that error?
> My guess is on either Apache restricting POST vs. GET,   or something
> external like SELinux, or even some sort of IDS / IPS system applying
> that control.
>>
>> -- Vicki
>>  cfcl.com/vlb
>>  twitter.com/vlb

Re: Access error on configure when trying to save

I sent the client a LocalSite.cfg file to install and now he gets this error on Saving in configure:

> [...]

>>  SCRIPT_NAME        /bin/configure
>>  CGI bin directory /home/setthapa/public_html/kb/bin
>>
>>  PATH_INFO is working correctly
>>

>> There is nothing obvious in the error.log file (other than a "file not found" error for an error document 403.shtml).
>>
>> I've asked the client to file a support ticket with the hosting service asking if they have anything in the suexec.log file.
>>

>> What sort of issue would give a "you don't have permission to access" error for a file we're accessing in order to get that error?
> My guess is on either Apache restricting POST vs. GET,   or something
> external like SELinux, or even some sort of IDS / IPS system applying
> that control.
>>
>> -- Vicki
>>  cfcl.com/vlb
>>  twitter.com/vlb

Re: Access error on configure when trying to save

Yeay!
George, I think you had the answer!

The client says "Support just replied to say they fixed mod_security rules"
and the errors are gone and configure is working!