Quantcast

Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

12

Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

KwangErn Liew
Hi all,

As we all know, Foswiki is pretty flexible and the documentation is limited by its load of text. Currently, it is up to the extension author to provide examples on how to use the extension, but it doesn't go beyond our creativity and range of real world examples.

What I'm proposing is an area that allows us all to share a few tips, examples, and showcase extensions. It'd allow users/developers to really see what Foswiki can provide.

In the times of (tm)wiki, the Sandbox and WikiApplication (?) were the areas to allow this. It'd be good to have a similar area that's more defined.

Examples of what this area is about are: how to make full use of forms, how to create an index table, how to create a sitemap of the entire web/wiki, how to create auto-complete from a list of topics, how to effectively use SEARCH with various examples/use-cases, how do I set up emailing on Gmail etc.

Am sure we all have something to contribute for. At the moment, I blog about such things, but wouldn't it be better if we have a central place on Foswiki to show how awesome it is?

This area is not for extensive wiki applications like XpTrackerPlugin. Applications that provide full solutions to a use case should be re-packaged.

Any additional thoughts?

KwangErn

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Martin Seibert
Hi all,

I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have too
much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under one
of the existing areas.

Best regards

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
   [hidden email]
   www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Martin Seibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have too
much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under one
of the existing areas.

Yup, I fully understand. I also find that it should be under one of the existing areas.

It could be under Documentation or Support.

KwangErn

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Martin Seibert
Then I am all for it and will be happy to add some content myself.

Viele Grüße

Am 08.04.2009 um 15:48 schrieb KwangErn Liew:

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Martin Seibert <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have too
> much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
> moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under one
> of the existing areas.
>
> Yup, I fully understand. I also find that it should be under one of
> the existing areas.
>
> It could be under Documentation or Support.
>

> KwangErn

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Crawford Currie
I would very much like this, but like Martin I'd like to see it portaled. Perhaps subwebs of a single web? Or even on a different server.

Martin Seibert wrote:
[...]

- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Koen Martens
Hi,

The idea pops up from time to time. One suggestion was to set up demo.foswiki.org, which
would be a frequently refreshed foswiki-latest install with a number of plugins and apps
installed.

Gr,

Koen

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:00:59PM +0100, Crawford Currie wrote:

> I would very much like this, but like Martin I'd like to see it
> portaled. Perhaps subwebs of a single web? Or even on a different server.
>
> Martin Seibert wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have too
> > much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
> > moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under one
> > of the existing areas.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Martin Seibert
> > //SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING
> >
> > //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
> >    Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
> >    GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
> >
> >    T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
> >    [hidden email]
> >    www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net
> >

> > Am 08.04.2009 um 15:29 schrieb KwangErn Liew:
> >

> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> As we all know, Foswiki is pretty flexible and the documentation is
> >> limited by its load of text. Currently, it is up to the extension
> >> author to provide examples on how to use the extension, but it
> >> doesn't go beyond our creativity and range of real world examples.
> >>
> >> What I'm proposing is an area that allows us all to share a few
> >> tips, examples, and showcase extensions. It'd allow users/developers
> >> to really see what Foswiki can provide.
> >>
> >> In the times of (tm)wiki, the Sandbox and WikiApplication (?) were
> >> the areas to allow this. It'd be good to have a similar area that's
> >> more defined.
> >>
> >> Examples of what this area is about are: how to make full use of
> >> forms, how to create an index table, how to create a sitemap of the
> >> entire web/wiki, how to create auto-complete from a list of topics,
> >> how to effectively use SEARCH with various examples/use-cases, how
> >> do I set up emailing on Gmail etc.
> >>
> >> Am sure we all have something to contribute for. At the moment, I
> >> blog about such things, but wouldn't it be better if we have a
> >> central place on Foswiki to show how awesome it is?
> >>
> >> This area is not for extensive wiki applications like
> >> XpTrackerPlugin. Applications that provide full solutions to a use
> >> case should be re-packaged.
> >>
> >> Any additional thoughts?
> >>

> >> KwangErn

> Crawford Currie
> - C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
> - A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
> - landline: +44-1606-330-242
> - mobile: +44-7837-877-956
> - public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

KwangErn Liew
How realistic is it to load all available extensions? On a separate setup.

Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special attention, or may clash with others?

KwangErn

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 6:14 PM, Koen Martens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> >> how to effectively use SEARCH with various examples/use-cases, how
> >> do I set up emailing on Gmail etc.
> >>
> >> Am sure we all have something to contribute for. At the moment, I
> >> blog about such things, but wouldn't it be better if we have a
> >> central place on Foswiki to show how awesome it is?
> >>
> >> This area is not for extensive wiki applications like
> >> XpTrackerPlugin. Applications that provide full solutions to a use
> >> case should be re-packaged.
> >>
> >> Any additional thoughts?
> >>

> >> KwangErn

> Crawford Currie
> - C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
> - A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
> - landline: +44-1606-330-242
> - mobile: +44-7837-877-956
> - public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Arthur Clemens
The About web can be used if you are showcasing Foswiki.
Extension demos can be in the Extensions web.

Arthur

On 8 apr 2009, at 15:48, KwangErn Liew wrote:

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Martin Seibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have too
much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under one
of the existing areas.

Yup, I fully understand. I also find that it should be under one of the existing areas.

It could be under Documentation or Support.

KwangErn

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Ingo Kappler
> How realistic is it to load all available extensions? On a separate setup.
>
> Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special attention,
> or may clash with others?
>

> KwangErn

May sometimes happen although in the following cases those are bugs:

http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1144
http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1145

Ingo

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Oliver Krüger-2

>> How realistic is it to load all available extensions? On a separate setup.
>>
>> Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special attention,
>> or may clash with others?
>>

> May sometimes happen although in the following cases those are bugs:
>
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1144
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1145

( Thanks for reminding me. ;) )

Security issues should be taken into consideration. "We" cannot oversee
all extension. Plugins have many priviledges on such a box.

code injection := svn ci ... ;)

Oliver

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

lars.eik@gmail.com
Why not a screen capture program and make video of the extension or some use of it. That would eliminate the need for maintaining active plugins on a web server with security issues, cooperability etc. And potential users would not need to download the extension or setup web/virtual guest to see it in action. After seeing the demo they will download it...

The "extended" usage/demo information should be linked from the extension's page, the DemoUrl formfield or be part of the ExtensionHub (the hub thing I guess so the Demo field i available for other "live" demos). The demo could of course include text, syntax and other pictures etc in addition to or instead of one or more videos.

There could be a "home page" for Demo's that also lets one create a new demo of a solution consisting of more than one extension, or maybe just some clever use of default Foswiki. IT can be in Extensions or Support Web.
Ok, we can start with demo of one by one extension, but I think it would be better to plan for it so that we could have good demo's of solutions and not just one and one extension, although we want demo's of that too. Using dataforms isn't an extension...using templates and includes are not extension.

It should be structured in a way that would let several demoer's show their videos/solutions for an extension.. A demo could use two or more plugins and it maybe should be possible to link to the same video/demo from several extensions. That can be done manually of course, but might be a bit messy if a demo-file is deleted from one topic later on...Probably these Extension demo page's should have a dataform so that they could cover linking/grouping/classifying relevant info. Meaning it probably should be one page per demo/solution.

Got to alot of rewriting here but I hope it sounds like intended.

Lars

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Oliver Krüger <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> How realistic is it to load all available extensions? On a separate setup.
>>
>> Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special attention,
>> or may clash with others?
>>

> May sometimes happen although in the following cases those are bugs:
>
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1144
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1145

( Thanks for reminding me. ;) )

Security issues should be taken into consideration. "We" cannot oversee
all extension. Plugins have many priviledges on such a box.

code injection := svn ci ... ;)

Oliver

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Martin Cleaver
Videos explaining and demoing are totally the way to go.

Rock-on, Lars ;)

Sent from my iPhone

On 8-Apr-09, at 6:32 PM, Lars Eik <[hidden email]> wrote:

Why not a screen capture program and make video of the extension or some use of it. That would eliminate the need for maintaining active plugins on a web server with security issues, cooperability etc. And potential users would not need to download the extension or setup web/virtual guest to see it in action. After seeing the demo they will download it...

The "extended" usage/demo information should be linked from the extension's page, the DemoUrl formfield or be part of the ExtensionHub (the hub thing I guess so the Demo field i available for other "live" demos). The demo could of course include text, syntax and other pictures etc in addition to or instead of one or more videos.

There could be a "home page" for Demo's that also lets one create a new demo of a solution consisting of more than one extension, or maybe just some clever use of default Foswiki. IT can be in Extensions or Support Web.
Ok, we can start with demo of one by one extension, but I think it would be better to plan for it so that we could have good demo's of solutions and not just one and one extension, although we want demo's of that too. Using dataforms isn't an extension...using templates and includes are not extension.

It should be structured in a way that would let several demoer's show their videos/solutions for an extension.. A demo could use two or more plugins and it maybe should be possible to link to the same video/demo from several extensions. That can be done manually of course, but might be a bit messy if a demo-file is deleted from one topic later on...Probably these Extension demo page's should have a dataform so that they could cover linking/grouping/classifying relevant info. Meaning it probably should be one page per demo/solution.

Got to alot of rewriting here but I hope it sounds like intended.

Lars

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Oliver Krüger <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> How realistic is it to load all available extensions? On a separate setup.
>>
>> Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special attention,
>> or may clash with others?
>>

> May sometimes happen although in the following cases those are bugs:
>
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1144
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1145

( Thanks for reminding me. ;) )

Security issues should be taken into consideration. "We" cannot oversee
all extension. Plugins have many priviledges on such a box.

code injection := svn ci ... ;)

Oliver

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Kenneth Lavrsen
Not a reply to Martin in particular but to all that participated in this
mailtrail. I just picked his for my reply.

The request many of us keep on requesting and wishing to work on is a
place on xxx.foswiki.org where simple examples of applications can be
demonstrated for inspiration.

Not complete applications with extensions and 20 or more topics.

But simple maybe down to SINGLE LINE applications that people can easily
submit and share and search for.

Videos, sites with all extensions, etc is far above what we ask for and
not something the normal end user will ever contribute.

Not that I am against these. But we need to establish a place where
normal END USERS can share simple applications, like we know them from
the old (tm)wiki Sandbox.

Just a little more organized than this messy old place.

It should be simple to submit an example same way as you submit a
support question. Ie you submit a form in which you put or select some
keywords that people can search for and then you create the topic where
you present your little demo. Simple simpler simplest. This is what the
request is all about.

It may be smart to create a parallel demo installation demo.foswiki.org
for this purpose.
We can then make a Share web (or other better name) for this simple
purpose. And then in addition create a larger number of webs for more
large scale demos that involves many forms and maybe 20-100 topics. I
have at least 3 such webs ready to create for this purpose. This demo
could also have webs that demonstrates the available skins simply by
setting the skin in WebPreferences.

This demo.foswiki.org would be linked from foswiki.org from Support web
and maybe also from a front page link.

I see this demo site running standard PatternSkin as it is distributed
(also because we fail today to show how Foswiki actually looks like out
of the box. Even our videos shows the foswiki.org skin).

I imagine this demo site to have 20-40 of the bests plugins installed
and activated and running from an SVN checkout of curent Release branch
updated manually but regularly with extensions pseudo-installed from
trunk. Like I do on my merlin.lavrsen.dk test site. This works great.

As an extra free gain it gives an excellent additional test bench for
the development.

Main web should be symlinked to foswiki.org so you do not have to
register two places.

I think this approach would keep foswiki.org from getting more
complicated to navigate. We have a good site now that is easy to
overview. It is better to separate the demos at all levels instead of
starting putting demos in Extensions web, support web and many other
places where we can never get a web application defined that enables
anyone to find them.

In a demo.foswiki.org separate from foswiki.org we can much better
create maybe 20 webs over time for different purposes including the web
for simple 1-2 topic demos that we had in (tm) sandbox web.

Best of it all. It will be simple to create as it is just a standard
pseudo-install and a landing page that points to the different webs and
their purpose.

Kenneth

Martin Cleaver wrote:

> [...]
>>     separate setup.
>>     >>
>>     >> Besides LDAP, are there any extensions that require special
>>     attention,
>>     >> or may clash with others?
>>     >>
>>     >
>>     > May sometimes happen although in the following cases those are
>>     bugs:
>>     >
>>     > http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1144
>>     > http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1145
>>     >
>>
>>     ( Thanks for reminding me. ;) )
>>
>>     Security issues should be taken into consideration. "We" cannot
>>     oversee
>>     all extension. Plugins have many priviledges on such a box.
>>
>>     code injection := svn ci ... ;)
>>
>>     Oliver

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

from a marketing perspective a http://demo.foswiki.org would be a cool
thing to have. I would like to offer to provide such a space somewhen
in the near future. If I understood it correctly, trunk.foswiki.org is
deployed every other day.

Can somebody explain how to implement this. Or should we have a manual
deployment, that is only updated every now and then. Such a template
is already available at my company.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Am 08.04.2009 um 18:14 schrieb Koen Martens:

> Hi,
>
> The idea pops up from time to time. One suggestion was to set up
> demo.foswiki.org, which
> would be a frequently refreshed foswiki-latest install with a number
> of plugins and apps
> installed.
>
> Gr,
>
> Koen
>
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 05:00:59PM +0100, Crawford Currie wrote:
>> I would very much like this, but like Martin I'd like to see it
>> portaled. Perhaps subwebs of a single web? Or even on a different
>> server.
>>
>> Martin Seibert wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I like this approach a lot. But please keep in mind, that we have
>>> too
>>> much webs in our navigation already. We have 8 buttons there at the
>>> moment. I would love to see that new area. But it should go under
>>> one
>>> of the existing areas.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Martin Seibert
>>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING
>>>
>>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
>>>   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
>>>   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>>>
>>>   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
>>>   [hidden email]
>>>   www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

>> --
>> Crawford Currie
>> - C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
>> - A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
>> - landline: +44-1606-330-242
>> - mobile: +44-7837-877-956
>> - public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

KwangErn Liew
Please check out http://foswiki.org/Community/NutsAndBolts :)

Refactor, and _don't_ comment at the bottom please... ;) comment-inline is preferred.

KwangErn

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

lars.eik@gmail.com
Kenneth and all,

Is this a case for the UserExperienceTaskTeam? If so I'll join there and continue.

Otherwise your thoughts about the first part (the sandbox like thing, not a demo site) is covered by what I had in mind. All extensions could have potential "examples" pages (example, sample, demo what word would be right, I don't know), just like support questions and tasks, that's what I meant by having it in the ExtensionHub thing. The "examples" would be one page per "example", like support questions and tasks. The page should have a dataform and on the page, end users could throw in a one-liner, two-liner, video or whatever to describe and showcase how to accomplish something. I just recently dicovered that videos are easier to make and of greater use than I imagined, for both creator and consumer.

I think this clearly should be in the Support web, because these pages would sometimes link to/from a FAQ or avoid a user from creating a new support question. That would probably make it easier to implement also since I understand the support web is holding the ExtensionHub. And the sandbox should let be a sandbox, unstructured and maybe cleaned up regularly. The info in these"example" pages would have structured quality and atleast I believe there's a clear separation from the sandbox, which is where many might try out their own variants after looking at the "examples".

* primary goal is to let end users, of any level, to easily add info. -> An easy submit form, like asking a support question.
* the info must have some structure. -> needs a data form to classify what area it is about and if any extensions are involved. (and skill level req?)
* must be suitable for one-liners but could also have pictures or videos attached (or a zip/tar)
* should fit in the support web ExtensionHub

I think it could solve all wishes except those wanting all/many different plugins activated. And really I think there are several of us willing to help out making a short video of a plugin that's not activated on the foswiki.org web site.

Lars

Lars Eik wrote:
> Kenneth and all,
>
> Is this a case for the UserExperienceTaskTeam? If so I'll join there
> and continue.
I cannot see this has anything to do with this task team.
We should form a new team for making an application share web. I will
gladly participate and even lead it of noone else will.

> Otherwise your thoughts about the first part (the sandbox like thing,
> not a demo site) is covered by what I had in mind. All extensions
> could have potential "examples" pages (example, sample, demo what word
> would be right, I don't know), just like support questions and tasks,
> that's what I meant by having it in the ExtensionHub thing. The
> "examples" would be one page per "example", like support questions and
> tasks. The page should have a dataform and on the page, end users
> could throw in a one-liner, two-liner, video or whatever to describe
> and showcase how to accomplish something. I just recently dicovered
> that videos are easier to make and of greater use than I imagined, for
> both creator and consumer.
I was not saying I want a Sandbox. I was saying that it is the type of
example we know what (tm)wiki Sandbox web that I have in mind. I want a
structured web with a good simple Foswiki application that enable anyone
to submit simple applications and example that are anything from a
single line (e.g. a cool SEARCH) to a few topics. And naturally
organized so people can search and find. Something simple to create and
maintain. Not something over engineered. Problem with the (tm)wiki
Sandbox was that the good examples drowned in Sandbox garbage and there
was no structure on the topics that enabled searching. You found them by
chance if you passed by the Sandbox web.

> I think this clearly should be in the Support web, because these pages
> would sometimes link to/from a FAQ or avoid a user from creating a new
> support question. That would probably make it easier to implement also
> since I understand the support web is holding the ExtensionHub. And
> the sandbox should let be a sandbox, unstructured and maybe cleaned up
> regularly. The info in these"example" pages would have structured
> quality and atleast I believe there's a clear separation from the
> sandbox, which is where many might try out their own variants after
> looking at the "examples".
If we put this in support web it becomes a mess. The support web should
be for support topics. Otherwise we just repeat the codev nightmare from
the old project.
We have a clean support web now with FAQs, Q&A support topics for core
and all extensions, and supplemental documents. Let us not throw more
into that bin now.

ExtensionsHub has nothing to do with this. The ExtensionsHub is a topic
we include on the support topic for each extension. It is a hub topic
for ONE extension which guides you to the right place depending on what
your needs are related to that particular extension (ask question,
report a bug, propose development etc). We are not talking examples of
extensions. We are talking examples and solutions using a mix of simple
TML and standard core Macros and the most popular Extensions. In my view
any proper extension should contain an example of itself whenever
possible on the extension topic and if needed a few extra topics
distributed with the extension. I have seen quite a few extensions that
few uses because noone can guess from the all too brief geeky
description what it actually does. Luckily most extensions do contain
small examples that gives a person a clear picture of what the extension
does.

The demo or application sharing web I want to build up is a place where
people can find inspiration on how to use TML and Macros and a mix of
Extensions to build up simple applications.

Someone suggested to have an installation with all extensions installed.
We tried that once. It does not work. They conflict and performance
dies. And many extensions do not work unless combined with specific
skins or with additional external programs. If we make a
demo.foswiki.org server I would advice to have approx 20 extensions
installed in addition to the defaults.

Kenneth

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Kenneth Lavrsen

> If we put this in support web it becomes a mess. The support web should
> be for support topics. Otherwise we just repeat the codev nightmare from
> the old project.
> We have a clean support web now with FAQs, Q&A support topics for core
> and all extensions, and supplemental documents. Let us not throw more
> into that bin now.

Short follow up to my own post after having thought about it.
If we want to use the current foswiki.org server and not add more webs
on the top bar (we really should not add more) - we could implement the
apps share web as a SUBWEB to Support web.
That would keep the name space and text searching separate between the
real support topics and the demo topics

But I still prefer an other installation where we can implement many
webs with more complete examples of applications. Like my OSS web
(http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Application/OSS/WebHome) or a
web that demonstrates the NatSkin including some of Michael's best
NatSkin related extensions.
When new skins are developed they can also be demoed there. I think we
need more than just a subweb to Support. But we could get started today
with the simple Apps share as a subweb to Support.

Martin offered that he could host a demo.foswiki.org. That would be
great but we should implement a solution then for syncing he users. We
did this on develop.(tm)wiki.org by a cron job. I would like to see a
better solution for this but a cron could do it if needed.

Kenneth

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Sven Dowideit
I think we'd be best off making a list of what we'd like to have demoed
first, so we can get a better picture of what will solution is the right
one.

For starters, if it requires additional plugins/templates it really
should be sandboxed in some way, so that our _main_ site stays up and
has a smaller hacker exploit surface.

We should also consider that the persons developing that demo might also
be the best placed to maintain that setup (vis plugin updates, core
updates etc) which suggests we should contemplate how to make
mini-installations for each (or write a little code to allow separate
Config.spec's per web - which would be a pretty good shared hosting
style solution).

Everyone seems to have a general idea of what they think would be useful
- including me - what we need is a specific list of results and steps to
achieve them, so that they can be implemented (I would suggest the
infrastructure team can probably be well placed to manage the
infrastructure?)

Sven

Kenneth Lavrsen wrote:

>> If we put this in support web it becomes a mess. The support web should
>> be for support topics. Otherwise we just repeat the codev nightmare from
>> the old project.
>> We have a clean support web now with FAQs, Q&A support topics for core
>> and all extensions, and supplemental documents. Let us not throw more
>> into that bin now.
>>

> Short follow up to my own post after having thought about it.
> If we want to use the current foswiki.org server and not add more webs
> on the top bar (we really should not add more) - we could implement the
> apps share web as a SUBWEB to Support web.
> That would keep the name space and text searching separate between the
> real support topics and the demo topics
>
> But I still prefer an other installation where we can implement many
> webs with more complete examples of applications. Like my OSS web
> (http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Application/OSS/WebHome) or a
> web that demonstrates the NatSkin including some of Michael's best
> NatSkin related extensions.
> When new skins are developed they can also be demoed there. I think we
> need more than just a subweb to Support. But we could get started today
> with the simple Apps share as a subweb to Support.
>
> Martin offered that he could host a demo.foswiki.org. That would be
> great but we should implement a solution then for syncing he users. We
> did this on develop.(tm)wiki.org by a cron job. I would like to see a
> better solution for this but a cron could do it if needed.
>
> Kenneth

Re: Area for simple examples/showcase/tutorials

Sven Dowideit
And to copy Kenneth's self-reply - the sharing of auth is what I
originally wrote the OpenID User mapper code for - that way we could
delegate authentication to our main site...

12