Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

12

Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Arthur Clemens
Hi all,

In the past I have used TWiki as Content Management System for small
websites. I am now facing the situation to recommend a CMS for another
client. Main requirement is that it should be easy to update
information on the website. The information will consist of static
pages and structured information (portfolio images in various
categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
collaboration between my client and theirs.

Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
stretch.

If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
Could you convince me or my client?

Arthur

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Martin Seibert
Hi Arthur,

from a Marketing perspective I think, that it is a big problem, if we
try to do everything with this wiki software, that is designed to be
an enterprise wiki. For the extranet feature Foswiki is fine. But not
for the website.

We should be rather working on interfaces to software-systems like
Joomla, Drupal, Typo3, WordPress and alike, than searching for
arguments why not to use them. :-)

Best regards

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
   [hidden email]
   www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Am 13.04.2009 um 00:45 schrieb Arthur Clemens:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past I have used TWiki as Content Management System for small
> websites. I am now facing the situation to recommend a CMS for another
> client. Main requirement is that it should be easy to update
> information on the website. The information will consist of static
> pages and structured information (portfolio images in various
> categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
> extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
> collaboration between my client and theirs.
>
> Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
> of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
> stretch.
>
> If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
> Could you convince me or my client?
>
> Arthur

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Colas Nahaboo
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
> of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
> stretch.

We used a "true" CMS (ezpublish, one of the major know one) to build
our support site for customers 3 years ago. I must say we regret this
decision now and in retrospect would have chosen TWiki/Foswiki.

Why? In summary, with a CMS, you start with a system that is nearly
ready-to-use for what the customer (another department in our case)
wants. With *wiki you get the base engine, and you will have to build
a UI on it that the customer will be familliar with, running the risk
that early prototypes will confuse the customer.

But what we found out is that CMS are very hard to customize to your
needs. Either they have like ezpublish, built bloated monsters
(ezpublish has reinvented its own language on top of PHP) that make
simple modifications a tremendous endeavour, or they are just nimble
and agile php toolkits (modx), letting you use them as toollkits and
code your system on top of it.

The result: altough we contracted an external agency, specialized in
ezpublish, do the work, it took 2 1/2 years to do something that would
have been done in a much better way in 6 months with a more flexible
system we knew like *wiki. For our next project, an non-collaborative,
official intranet, we just went with a TWiki in a CMS disguise (as a
frontend end to data in sharepoint). It was a success.

So, unless your customer is already used to a specific CMS UI, do not
discard the *wiki solution. Just be aware that you cannot just dump
the wiki in the hand of users, you willl have to built a "CMS-like" UI
(something showing guidance with a lot of form fields to input data,
admin dashboards, ...) on top of it. But building one for *wiki may be
simpler than tweaking a real CMS. For instance in ezpublish we had to
sweat to integrate "properly" a system to it, but in TWiki we would
just %INCLUDE the output of a quick prototype but ezpublish is not
designed to use these kind of quick hacks.

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Guenther Fischer
we use TWiki since 2002 and with local extensions as a lightweighted CMS.

The Corporate Design for our University is defined in a small
php-machine (Topelements with pictures and breadcrumbs, left and right
navigation elements if needed and some bottom elements). This elements
are defined in well defined file named like config.inc and must be
inserted to everey page with the real content.

Every page can be edited by hand or with a Webfilemager or with our
T/Fos-wiki. With Webfilemager the author works directly on the
webspace. With WikiCMS the author
works in Wiki space, has a preview near to the real Webview and must
publish if the page is ready and you have the RCS.
For us the Wiki is the better solution for many authors in the same area.

I know it is a spcial solution for our environment with the
php-CD-engine but Wiki gives me the tools to integrate.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards
Günther Fischer

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past I have used TWiki as Content Management System for small
> websites. I am now facing the situation to recommend a CMS for another
> client. Main requirement is that it should be easy to update
> information on the website. The information will consist of static
> pages and structured information (portfolio images in various
> categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
> extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
> collaboration between my client and theirs.
>
> Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
> of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
> stretch.
>
> If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
> Could you convince me or my client?
>
> Arthur

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

KwangErn Liew
My main concern is SEO for URI.

CamelCaseWordsInURI isn't exactly search engine friendly...

I guess if you have a few pages, you can rewrite them. But is there a way to automate it?

And I can agree to Martin's case on one-size-fits-all is a bad idea, though for a simple CMS, it might just work.

KwangErn

[...]

You are right - I also hate URIs with database indexes like Typo3
without mapping to real readable names.
You can see the pages on http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/urz/index.html

In the middle of the bottom part you can see the link to the CMS
    Für Autoren -> https://twiki.tu-chemnitz.de/bin/view/W2/WwWindex
And the Home of TU Chemnitz http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/
    Für Autoren ->
https://login.tu-chemnitz.de/wfm/?action=webedit;wdir=/www/root;file=index.php
for a single web based editor.

In WikiCMS you can define Layouts in ConfigInc Topics - published to
config.inc files in webspace.
And you write your pages WwW<name> (only content) including the
defined ConfigInc topic.
On the top of each WwW topich you define some varaibles like
<!---
      * Set CONFIGINC = config.inc
      * Set PUBLISHDIR = /afs/tucz/www/root/urz/netz/
      * Set TOPICMAP = index
-->
There are the needed Vars for publishing - some more global Vars are
in the WebPreferences.

We have heavy loaded webservers, so we want have static webpages not
loaded from database like typo3 etc.
For all users using Wiki for colaboration WikiCMS is a good solution.
For others we think about having well patched
Typo3 virtual machines with actual Corpotate Design templates giving
typo3 administration to the usergroups.
So we would have 4 parts
   * Typo3
   * WikiCMS
   * CD-Webeditor (Wysiwigeditor on Webfilesystem)
   * and also real html-coders

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:16 AM, KwangErn Liew <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My main concern is SEO for URI.
>
> CamelCaseWordsInURI isn't exactly search engine friendly...
>
> I guess if you have a few pages, you can rewrite them. But is there a way to
> automate it?
>
> And I can agree to Martin's case on one-size-fits-all is a bad idea, though
> for a simple CMS, it might just work.
>

> KwangErn
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In the past I have used TWiki as Content Management System for small
>> websites. I am now facing the situation to recommend a CMS for another
>> client. Main requirement is that it should be easy to update
>> information on the website. The information will consist of static
>> pages and structured information (portfolio images in various
>> categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
>> extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
>> collaboration between my client and theirs.
>>
>> Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
>> of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
>> stretch.
>>
>> If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
>> Could you convince me or my client?
>>
>> Arthur

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Eugen Mayer
Hello together,

i would not recommend to use Foswiki as CMS if your visitors are:

- Clients
- Casual Users
- You are going to present Information in a way, the client can easily
understand ( and buy or whatever )

Summarised, if the client expects a nice looking and shiny page which
makes the product you present a joy, you should not use Foswiki. Reasons
are simple.

It costs to much time and effort to get Foswiki looking that way. In
addition the maintenance of such a CMS-Like-Foswiki is not optimal. I
mean, you can really tweak this with Foswiki, as you can do anything
with Foswiki.

The question is, how much effort you will need. And you expect to have a
lot of overhead for Foswiki as CMS in the field i described above.

br

Eugen

Am Dienstag, den 14.04.2009, 08:39 +0200 schrieb Guenther Fischer:

> Hi,
> we use TWiki since 2002 and with local extensions as a lightweighted CMS.
>
> The Corporate Design for our University is defined in a small
> php-machine (Topelements with pictures and breadcrumbs, left and right
> navigation elements if needed and some bottom elements). This elements
> are defined in well defined file named like config.inc and must be
> inserted to everey page with the real content.
>
> Every page can be edited by hand or with a Webfilemager or with our
> T/Fos-wiki. With Webfilemager the author works directly on the
> webspace. With WikiCMS the author
> works in Wiki space, has a preview near to the real Webview and must
> publish if the page is ready and you have the RCS.
> For us the Wiki is the better solution for many authors in the same area.
>
> I know it is a spcial solution for our environment with the
> php-CD-engine but Wiki gives me the tools to integrate.
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards
> Günther Fischer
>

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In the past I have used TWiki as Content Management System for small
> > websites. I am now facing the situation to recommend a CMS for another
> > client. Main requirement is that it should be easy to update
> > information on the website. The information will consist of static
> > pages and structured information (portfolio images in various
> > categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
> > extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
> > collaboration between my client and theirs.
> >
> > Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is capable
> > of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
> > stretch.
> >
> > If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
> > Could you convince me or my client?
> >
> > Arthur

Eugen Mayer - Geschäftsleitung
Impressive.media GbR

- Database  and (Web)Software Solutiones
- Consulting and Content Management Systems
- WebDesign & WebProgramming
- Individual Hosting & WebHosting
- Centralized Office Solutiones for Address, Email, Data, and PDA

Home : www.impressive-media.de
Fon  : 0761 - 7669439
Fax  : 0711 - 4907629655
Mail : [hidden email]

Configure error

Aaron Randall
Hi All,

I have recently checked out the Foswiki trunk onto a Linux machine in order to test some of the new functionality added (particularly the new TinyMCE integration - thanks again Crawford!).

I can browse the checked-out code fine, until I try to access the "foswiki/bin/configure" page, where I am greeted with the following error:

Software error:

Failed to load the perl module Foswiki::Configure::Checker. The module was found at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm

Please ensure that:
   1 Foswiki::Configure::Checker is installed,
   2 that the module is available on the @INC path,
   3 that the webserver user (www-data) has permission to read the Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm file.
The detailed error seen was:
syntax error at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm line 4, near ");"
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 17) line 2.

I have confirmed the permissions for "/var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm", and www-data does have access to the file.

I did have a look online, and found this page from the Foswiki site - http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1177
But I can't seem to find a specific fix to help me view this page properly.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Aaron

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.

While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Re: Configure error

Colas Nahaboo
yes there is a syntax error currently (an extra parenthesis) trunk is
not working now

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Aaron Randall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have recently checked out the Foswiki trunk onto a Linux machine in order to test some of the new functionality added (particularly the new TinyMCE integration - thanks again Crawford!).
>
> I can browse the checked-out code fine, until I try to access the "foswiki/bin/configure" page, where I am greeted with the following error:
>
> Software error:
>
> Failed to load the perl module Foswiki::Configure::Checker. The module was found at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm
>
> Please ensure that:
>   1 Foswiki::Configure::Checker is installed,
>   2 that the module is available on the @INC path,
>   3 that the webserver user (www-data) has permission to read the Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm file.
> The detailed error seen was:
> syntax error at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm line 4, near ");"
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 17) line 2.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 17) line 2.
>

> I have confirmed the permissions for "/var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm", and www-data does have access to the file.
>
> I did have a look online, and found this page from the Foswiki site - http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1177
> But I can't seem to find a specific fix to help me view this page properly.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
> sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.
>
> While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
> which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
>
> Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
> Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Configure error

KwangErn Liew
In your /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm

On line 4, replace

use w(Foswiki::Configure::UI ();

with

use Foswiki::Configure::UI ();

Note, if you're using the Foswiki's login Template Manager, you'll
need to install TopicUserMappingContrib

KwangErn

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Aaron Randall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have recently checked out the Foswiki trunk onto a Linux machine in order to test some of the new functionality added (particularly the new TinyMCE integration - thanks again Crawford!).
>
> I can browse the checked-out code fine, until I try to access the "foswiki/bin/configure" page, where I am greeted with the following error:
>
> Software error:
>
> Failed to load the perl module Foswiki::Configure::Checker. The module was found at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm
>
> Please ensure that:
>   1 Foswiki::Configure::Checker is installed,
>   2 that the module is available on the @INC path,
>   3 that the webserver user (www-data) has permission to read the Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm file.
> The detailed error seen was:
> syntax error at /var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm line 4, near ");"
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 17) line 2.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 17) line 2.
>

> I have confirmed the permissions for "/var/www/foswiki/core/lib/Foswiki/Configure/Checker.pm", and www-data does have access to the file.
>
> I did have a look online, and found this page from the Foswiki site - http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1177
> But I can't seem to find a specific fix to help me view this page properly.  Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
> sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.
>
> While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
> which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
>
> Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
> Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Arthur Clemens
Interesting that your finding is the opposite of Colas.

Arthur

On 14 apr 2009, at 14:35, Eugen Mayer wrote:

> [...]
>>> categories, preferably using dynamic search). And it will contain
>>> extranet functionality behind client login, mainly to facilitate
>>> collaboration between my client and theirs.
>>>
>>> Of course I am biased using Foswiki because I know what it is
>>> capable
>>> of. Yet, I have the feeling that to use it as pure CMS is a bit of a
>>> stretch.
>>>
>>> If you have used TWiki or Foswiki as CMS, what were your arguments?
>>> Could you convince me or my client?
>>>
>>> Arthur

> Eugen Mayer - Geschäftsleitung
> Impressive.media GbR
>
> - Database  and (Web)Software Solutiones
> - Consulting and Content Management Systems
> - WebDesign & WebProgramming
> - Individual Hosting & WebHosting
> - Centralized Office Solutiones for Address, Email, Data, and PDA

Olivier 'Babar' Raginel
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 02:55:03PM +0200, Arthur Clemens wrote:
> Interesting that your finding is the opposite of Colas.

But Eugen is a Drupal guy, so he can't say it's shitty in public :)
I'd just say it's PHP, and check security focus...

--
Babar.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Interesting that your finding is the opposite of Colas.

Actually, I don't think we disagree so much. It depends if you already
are familliar with a CMS.

I say, with Foswiki, you will have to build a user-friendly system on
top of it. With the CMS, you will have to struggle to adapt it to your
users. There are efforts either way, but if you already know a lot
Foswiki and not the CMS, the CMS road will be *much* harder.

Eugen says: with Foswiki, you will have to build a user-friendly
system on top of it. :-) He omits to say that he knows (a lot? Drupal)
so for him, the Drupal route may be best (we tried Drupal for our
blogs but to debug it and make it work without calling 150 times the
database for each page would have required us to spend a lot of time
that we felt was more productive invested making a good UI on a system
we knew: wordpress). We tried the new "king of CMSes" silverstripe.
Simple sites are OK, but if you want to customize, you have to
understand it. It takes time...

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Configure error

Aaron Randall
Thanks KwangErm that fixed it for me :)

> [...]

sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.

While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Enabling advanced features with TinyMCE

Aaron Randall
Hi All,

I am experimenting with the Foswiki trunk, and am trying to enable some of the "extra" features in TinyMCE which are not shown by default (e.g. the 'Paste from Word' button).

The wiki on Configuring TinyMCE gives some details about what configuration I should use to enable these extra options, but it doesn't say WHICH file to put the configuration in (http://wiki.dcc.ufba.br/System/TinyMCEPlugin).

Does anyone know which file should contain the TinyMCE configuration?

[...]

Re: Enabling advanced features with TinyMCE

Martin Seibert
Hi Aaron,

if I may add something to the wishlist of TinyMCE-features from the
full-editor at http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php, I would
want these:
http://screencast.com/t/XVFOWq43T

Am 16.04.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Aaron Randall:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experimenting with the Foswiki trunk, and am trying to enable
> some of the "extra" features in TinyMCE which are not shown by
> default (e.g. the 'Paste from Word' button).
>
> The wiki on Configuring TinyMCE gives some details about what
> configuration I should use to enable these extra options, but it
> doesn't say WHICH file to put the configuration in (http://wiki.dcc.ufba.br/System/TinyMCEPlugin
> ).
>
> Does anyone know which file should contain the TinyMCE configuration?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
> you have received this email in error and that any use,
> dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
> contact the
> sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any
> attachments are free from viruses.
>
> While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise
> this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for
> any damage
> which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you
> should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
>
> Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
> Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Enabling advanced features with TinyMCE

Martin Cleaver
TinyMCE is configured in Foswiki in Main.SitePreferences

* Set TINYMCEPLUGIN_INIT = mode:"textareas",
   editor_selector : "foswikiTextarea|foswikiEditFormTextAreaField",
   save_on_tinymce_forms: true, ...
http://twitter.com/mrjcleaver
+1 416-786-6752 (GMT-5)

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Martin Seibert <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aaron,

if I may add something to the wishlist of TinyMCE-features from the
full-editor at http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/examples/full.php, I would
want these:
http://screencast.com/t/XVFOWq43T

Best regards

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
  Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
  GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

  T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
  [hidden email]
  www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Am 16.04.2009 um 17:34 schrieb Aaron Randall:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experimenting with the Foswiki trunk, and am trying to enable
> some of the "extra" features in TinyMCE which are not shown by
> default (e.g. the 'Paste from Word' button).
>
> The wiki on Configuring TinyMCE gives some details about what
> configuration I should use to enable these extra options, but it
> doesn't say WHICH file to put the configuration in (http://wiki.dcc.ufba.br/System/TinyMCEPlugin
> ).
>
> Does anyone know which file should contain the TinyMCE configuration?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and
> addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that
> you have received this email in error and that any use,
> dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
> contact the
> sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
> author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any
> attachments are free from viruses.
>
> While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise
> this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for
> any damage
> which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you
> should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
>
> Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
> Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Re: Enabling advanced features with TinyMCE

Crawford Currie
Hi Aaron,

The default configuration is hard-coded in
lib/Foswiki/Plugins/TinyMCEPlugin.pm. The recommended way to override
that is to define your own TINYMCEPLUGIN_CONFIG preference, as described
in the doc. That preference can be defined site wide, in WebPreferences,
in individual topics or per-user.

Regards,

C.

Aaron Randall wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am experimenting with the Foswiki trunk, and am trying to enable some of the "extra" features in TinyMCE which are not shown by default (e.g. the 'Paste from Word' button).
>
> The wiki on Configuring TinyMCE gives some details about what configuration I should use to enable these extra options, but it doesn't say WHICH file to put the configuration in (http://wiki.dcc.ufba.br/System/TinyMCEPlugin).
>
> Does anyone know which file should contain the TinyMCE configuration?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Aaron
>
> ******************************************************************************************
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
> sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
> Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.
>
> While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
> which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.
>
> Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
> Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Martin Seibert wrote:
> if I may add something to the wishlist
I experimented with all the plugins that were in the standard TinyMCE
distribution, and already enabled all those I thought were worthwhile,
and worked. I didn't try the IE paste, though, so should be interesting
to see what it's like.

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Arguments for using Foswiki as CMS

Sven Dowideit
I've had a few people convert from 'annoying CMS's like joomla' to
foswiki, and they are quite pleased.

The main trouble they have is that we don't have enough pre-packaged
simple wiki apps, and that some of the ones we do have require
installing too many other packages. Which of course is why i started
developing the FoswikiApplicationsContrib - but even there, I'm using
FormPlugin, and SetTopicVarPlugin :/

Sven

Colas Nahaboo wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Arthur Clemens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Interesting that your finding is the opposite of Colas.
>>

> Actually, I don't think we disagree so much. It depends if you already
> are familliar with a CMS.
>
> I say, with Foswiki, you will have to build a user-friendly system on
> top of it. With the CMS, you will have to struggle to adapt it to your
> users. There are efforts either way, but if you already know a lot
> Foswiki and not the CMS, the CMS road will be *much* harder.
>
> Eugen says: with Foswiki, you will have to build a user-friendly
> system on top of it. :-) He omits to say that he knows (a lot? Drupal)
> so for him, the Drupal route may be best (we tried Drupal for our
> blogs but to debug it and make it work without calling 150 times the
> database for each page would have required us to spend a lot of time
> that we felt was more productive invested making a good UI on a system
> we knew: wordpress). We tried the new "king of CMSes" silverstripe.
> Simple sites are OK, but if you want to customize, you have to
> understand it. It takes time...

12