Configure Script displays only Text

Jon

Configure Script displays only Text

Jon
Hello,

Is this miling list / project still alive?  I tried to register on the website but I keep getting an error

Warning! Confirmation required

Foswiki has received a suspicious change request from your browser.

There is a risk that someone may be trying to use your identity to change content on Foswiki without your knowledge.

  • Press OK to confirm that this change was intentional.
  • Press Cancel otherwise.

If you are unsure what this means, read: why you are being asked to confirm.

Clicking OK only returns,

Attention

The register script can only be called with POST method.

I was trying to reply to this thread, http://foswiki.org/Support/Question1477

I'm having the same problem, I followed the instructions, used the FosWiki apache config generator, and ran the script to set permissions.  I also had to "a2enmod rewrite" to allow apache to restart with the RewriteRule directive in the foswiki.conf file.

I'm using the most recent foswiki1.1.9, ubuntu 14.04, and perl 5.18.

Essentially, all the problems, save the suexec problem, are "apache configuration problems" but they all seem to be marked "resolved" without a solution:

Looking at how to get Apache to render perl scripts, StackOverflow recommends adding a handler, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14792978/perl-apache-perl-script-displayed-as-plain-text

but there is no file extension on the configure script so that won't work...
This stackoverflow thread says to install mod_perl.  I did that, but that doesn't make sense since you have to use CGI to configure it...

Actually, at this point I have tried all three configurations,

the only one that produces an error is the mod_perl:

[Fri Oct 17 11:17:15.371787 2014] [perl:error] [pid 1022:tid 140580862449536] Can't locate /var/www/foswiki/tools/mod_perl_startup.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /etc/apache2) at (eval 2) line 1.\n

Using CGI or FCGI configurations only displays text.

It's been a while since I tried to get perl to render directly in apache, but the last time I setup FosWiki I don't remember having to go through this...  I just downloaded the config file and FosWiki flew...

Any ideas for things I can try to get FosWiki to work?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Best Regards,
Jon A

Jon

Fwd: Configure Script displays only Text

Jon
Hello,

Trying this one again too.

Thanks,
Jon A

Re: Fwd: Configure Script displays only Text

George Clark-2
Jon,

The project is definitely alive,  though much of the activity happens on IRC.  The discuss list is rather quiet.    I do apologize for ignoring the list requests,  it appears our moderator stopped moderating, probably due to the huge volume of spam, and things are rather backed up.   I've added myself as a moderator and cleared the backlog.  Now that you've successfully subscribed, the list is open to you.

Regarding registration on http://foswiki.org,  it appears to be working fine, and we typically get 1-2 new registrations daily.  By any chance is your browser blocking javascript and/or cookies?   Javascript is required for the registration pages to work.   That would be my guess as to what might be going wrong there.

Regarding mod_perl, fascgi, cgi and Foswiki.   bin/configure is purely a CGI application and currently will not work under either fastcgi or mod_perl.   You will not be able to get foswiki running under mod_perl or fastcgi until the basic cgi configure is running, and you can get the ModPerlEngineContrib or FastCgiEngineContrib installed.

If you are seeing plain text when navigating to bin/configure this either an apache configuration issue, or a system issue that is blocking perl from executing under the control of apache.  For some reason, Apache is not passing the bin/configure script off to perl cgi.

You used the ApacheConfigGenerator, and the results are a very well tested apache configuration script that works up through Apache 2.2 without modifications.  There are some minor syntax issues when it is used on Apache 2.4,  but nothing that breaks CGI that I'm aware of.   http://foswiki.org/ is running on Apache 2.4

 The key parts of the configuration are the ScriptAlias statement.

   ScriptAlias /foswiki/bin "/var/www/foswiki/bin"

and the directory definitions:

<Directory "/var/www/foswiki/bin">
    Options +ExecCGI  -FollowSymLinks
    SetHandler cgi-script

These tell Apache to run scripts in the /var/www/foswiki/bin directory,  when accessed through the URL   ...yourhost.../foswiki/bin...

The other possibility is that something external to apache is blocking execution,   such as SELinux mandatory access controls.  That's mentioned in the configuration file comments.   It appears that Ubuntu ships with AppArmor enabled by default.  I'm really not familiar with that product but it might be responsible for blocking CGI execution with Apache.

With SELinux type controls enabled and enforcing, there are a number of areas where Foswiki might be blocked, including:
 - CGI script execution
 - Sending email from within apache
 - connecting http outbound,  for ex. the Foswiki extensions installer

George Clark

On 10/17/2014 01:34 PM, Jon wrote:
Hello,

Trying this one again too.

Thanks,
Jon A

[...]

Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Zoho

Jon

Re: Fwd: Configure Script displays only Text

Jon
Hello George,

Thanks for the reply.  It seems Apache 2.4 on ubuntu does not come with cgi enabled.

Some targeted quires around "apache 2.4, perl cgi text" lead me to this stackoverflow thred

It was as simple as "a2enmod cgi"

>> root@ubuntu-test:/etc/apache2# a2enmod cgi
>> Your MPM seems to be threaded. Selecting cgid instead of cgi.
>> Enabling module cgid.
>> To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
>>   service apache2 restart
>> root@ubuntu-test:/etc/apache2# service apache2 restart
>>  * Restarting web server apache2

And now I have a configure page!

As to signing up for the wiki, I'll have to try it again from home, we have some fairly vigorous firewall rules at the office... while I've never seen any issues with it blocking cookies we do get some odd behavior from time to time.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jon A

Jon

Re: Fwd: Configure Script displays only Text

Jon
Hello George,

Is fosswiki.org running on Apache 2.4 with mod_perl of fcgi?  Also is it running CentOS or RHEL?

After getting setup, I tried making the switch to mod_perl, but am getting the following error in my foswiki error logs:

Can't locate object method "remote_ip" via package "Apache2::Connection" at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Engine/Apache.pm line 96.
 at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Engine/Apache.pm line 96.
        Foswiki::Engine::Apache::prepareConnection('Foswiki::Engine::Apache2::MP20=HASH(0x7f83d75c5f98)', 'Foswiki::Request=HASH(0x7f83b40034e8)') called at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Engine.pm line 69
        Foswiki::Engine::__ANON__() called at /var/www/foswiki/lib/CPAN/lib/Error.pm line 379
        eval {...} called at /var/www/foswiki/lib/CPAN/lib/Error.pm line 371
        Error::subs::try('CODE(0x7f83d78fbf78)', 'HASH(0x7f83b4003290)') called at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Engine.pm line 122
        Foswiki::Engine::prepare('Foswiki::Engine::Apache2::MP20=HASH(0x7f83d75c5f98)') called at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Engine/Apache.pm line 84
        Foswiki::Engine::Apache::run('Apache2::RequestRec=SCALAR(0x7f83d78fbf00)') called at -e line 0
        eval {...} called

A bit of googling reveals that this is due to an API change in Apache [1]

conn_rec->remote_ip and conn_rec->remote_addr
These fields have been renamed in order to distinguish between the client IP address of the connection and the useragent IP address of the request (potentially overridden by a load balancer or proxy). References to either of these fields must be updated with one of the following options, as appropriate for the module:

and it appears that mod_perl hasn't quite reached that stage, at least as of Feb.  It's also possible that the version of mod_perl bundled with Ubuntu is simply outdated.

>> libapache2-mod-perl2                2.0.8+httpd24-r1449661-6ubuntu2      amd64        Integration of perl with the Apache2 web server

Is the version I installed.

According to cpan, Apache2::Connection is up to date:

>> root@ubuntu-test:~# cpanm Apache2::Connection
>> Apache2::Connection is up to date. (2.000008)

I wonder if it would be better just to run under fcgi for now.  Won't I get better performance with mod_perl?

Thanks for the assistance.

Best Regards,
Jon A

On 10/21/2014 12:17 PM, Jon wrote:
Hello George,

Is fosswiki.org running on Apache 2.4 with mod_perl of fcgi?  Also is it running CentOS or RHEL?

It's running mod_fcgid
I wonder if it would be better just to run under fcgi for now.  Won't I get better performance with mod_perl?

Most foswiki sites I'm aware of  (not that it's a lot)  use fcgid.   I don't believe there is a significant performance difference between the two,  and module and configuration changes require an apache restart with mod_perl.  With fcgid, you can just kill the fcgid daemons and they restart as necessary.    Also in some cases errors in mod_perl apps can break Apache.  fcgi is a bit more disconnected.   So I've come to prefer fcgid.

George

Thanks for the assistance.

Best Regards,
Jon A

Jon

Re: Fwd: Configure Script displays only Text

Jon

Hello George,

Awesome!  Thanks.

If there is no significant performance boost then I won't pursue the mod_perl route. Actually, I think fcgi is better if you didn't have to restart the apache process.

Thanks for the input! I appreciate your advice.

Best Regards,
Jon A