Deploying FosWiki with Chef

Jon

Deploying FosWiki with Chef

Jon
Hello,

I am looking to deploy FosWiki within my organization.  We're currently using an old version of TWiki and it needs to go.  Actually, I have a couple of FosWiki deploys to do and our organizations mantra is "If you have to do it twice, write a cookbook".

I wanted to know if anyone has done any work in this arena and if there is any interest in a Chef cookbook for deploying FosWiki.  I have no problem starting from scratch, but if someone had already explored this route, there's no need for me to reinvent the wheel.  I found a "Vagrant-FosWiki" cookbook that hasn't been touched in over three years, other than the age, maybe that's a good place to start?  There's this gist from last year, so I think someone has done some more recent work on a cookbook.

If there isn't an existing Chef Recipe, is there any interest in one?  How do you all do deploys in a standard and repeatable fashion?

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Jon A

Jon

Fwd: Deploying FosWiki with Chef

Jon
Hello,

I am attempting to resend this mail as it seems to be pending moderator approval... I'm hoping my signing up for the list I will be able to send mail.

Sorry for the duplicate e-mail.

Best Regards,
Jon A

Re: Deploying FosWiki with Chef

Olivier Raginel
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 02:46:29PM -0600, Jon wrote:

> I am looking to deploy FosWiki within my organization.  We're
> currently using an old version of TWiki and it needs to go.  Actually,
> I have a couple of FosWiki deploys to do and our organizations mantra
> is "If you have to do it twice, write a cookbook".
> I wanted to know if anyone has done any work in this arena and if there
> is any interest in a Chef cookbook for deploying FosWiki.  I have no
> problem starting from scratch, but if someone had already explored this
> route, there's no need for me to reinvent the wheel.  I found a
> "[1]Vagrant-FosWiki" cookbook that hasn't been touched in over three
> years, other than the age, maybe that's a good place to start?Â
> There's this [2]gist from last year, so I think someone has done some
> more recent work on a cookbook.
> If there isn't an existing Chef Recipe, is there any interest in one?Â
> How do you all do deploys in a standard and repeatable fashion?

Hi,

I wrote the Foswiki chef cookbook when I wanted to deploy it with
Vagrant. It used to work just fine, and I only modified it a couple of
times when Julian needed some new features.
The main issue it probably has now is that it was linked to a specific
version of Foswiki, by some git clone, because it was meant as a
developer's platform. But I'm sure you could do it some other way, or at
least use git to clone a release branch.

That gist seems to be to extract a TWiki tarball. I didn't know someone
wrote a TWiki chef recipe. I would rather use git, but if you prefer to
extract the tarball release, sure, go for it.

If you need help with it, I'm not very active on IRC anymore, but feel
free to shoot an email here. I read them... let's say, weekly.

--
Babar