Quantcast

Dreamhost help? - Short URL htaccess code FAILs with Foswiki 2

Dreamhost help? - Short URL htaccess code FAILs with Foswiki 2

Vicki Brown
I've filed this as both a support request and a task but have had no response.

I made it a bug report (task) because the only thing that is different between the two sites is the version of FW.

1) I have a working Foswiki 1.1.9 installation on Dreamhost. (http://baaptfwi119.dreamhosters.com/)

It is using Short URL code from Support/ShorterUrlCookbook in the top level .htaccess file. It works as documented and described.

However, I wanted to upgrade the FW engine to v. 2. I did this in a parallel directory for testing.

2) The second FW installation (v 2.1.2) is at http://baapt.dreamhosters.com/bin/view/Main.

I must use the full (/bin/view...) URL.  If I try to use short URLs (e.g. http://baapt.dreamhosters.com), I get an error:

   The requested URL / was not found on this server.

The only differences in the .htaccess file are in the hostname portion of the URL.

Help?

http://foswiki.org/Support/Question1787
http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item14102

-- Vicki Brown
  cfcl.com/vlb

Re: Dreamhost help? - Short URL htaccess code FAILs with Foswiki 2

George Clark-2
Vicki,

I responded to the support request yesterday, including a patch you can
apply to the "xview" script to see if that helps.

I don't really understand why the view script is renamed to xview.  But
foswik 2.x derives the action from the script name, and there is no
action called "xview" in the switchboard hash.    The patch will change
your "xview" script to hard-code the action of view.

George

On 07/01/2016 03:46 PM, Vicki Brown wrote:

> I've filed this as both a support request and a task but have had no response.
>
> I made it a bug report (task) because the only thing that is different between the two sites is the version of FW.
>
> 1) I have a working Foswiki 1.1.9 installation on Dreamhost. (http://baaptfwi119.dreamhosters.com/)
>
> It is using Short URL code from Support/ShorterUrlCookbook in the top level .htaccess file. It works as documented and described.
>
> However, I wanted to upgrade the FW engine to v. 2. I did this in a parallel directory for testing.
>
> 2) The second FW installation (v 2.1.2) is at http://baapt.dreamhosters.com/bin/view/Main.
>
> I must use the full (/bin/view...) URL.  If I try to use short URLs (e.g. http://baapt.dreamhosters.com), I get an error:
>
>    The requested URL / was not found on this server.
>
> The only differences in the .htaccess file are in the hostname portion of the URL.
>
> Help?
>
> http://foswiki.org/Support/Question1787
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item14102
>
> -- Vicki Brown
>   cfcl.com/vlb

Re: Dreamhost help? - Short URL htaccess code FAILs with Foswiki 2

Vicki Brown
The xview magic is from the ShorterUrlCookbook,  "Option 2a: Complete example as .htaccess".

I presume it's to ensure that use of view works "as expected". Otherwise, the htaccess code would describe a redirect loop.

>> there is no action called "xview" in the switchboard hash

This change was apparently made deliberately. Why?

On 07/01/2016 05:26 PM, Vicki Brown wrote:
> The xview magic is from the ShorterUrlCookbook,  "Option 2a: Complete example as .htaccess".
>
> I presume it's to ensure that use of view works "as expected". Otherwise, the htaccess code would describe a redirect loop.
I've not gone through that in any detail   I actually thought that topic
was obsolete, as most of the short URL support is now built in, or
covered in the installation guide.

The recommended patches to Foswiki.pm and manual editing of the
LocalSite.cfg are not needed any more.   Much of that topic should be
deleted.  Unfortunately there are a lot of "user contributed" support
documents that have become rather obsolete.  We really need more
volunteers to find these things and  fix them.
> This change was apparently made deliberately. Why?

I'm not good with Why questions.  But the change was made back in 2010
by a developer who's not been around lately.  My guess is by recovering
the action from the path that way, it's possible to use only a single
script for all of the actions.  And in some platforms, that's already
true.  I might be wrong, but with FCGI and mod_perl, I don't believe
that any of the action specific bin scripts are used.

George

Re: Dreamhost help? - Short URL htaccess code FAILs with Foswiki 2

Vicki Brown
>>The recommended patches to Foswiki.pm and manual editing of the
>
> LocalSite.cfg are not needed any more.

I have no idea what you're talking about. None of the htaccess code in that document requires patches or editing.

So this doesn't make any sense.

Just fyi, I also tried:
   - the code I use at home in my Apache httpd.conf file
   - code generated by the Foswiki Apache code generator

neither of which worked.

Content for .htaccess cannot be "built in" to Foswiki. Such code doesn't get generated by the Apache config generator. But a lot of people run on hosted sites with .htaccess.

>>My guess is by recovering
> the action from the path that way, it's possible to use only a single
> script for all of the actions.

That's great except for the part where someone assumed there would only be a well-known set of commands in bin. That's a brittle  assumption.

>> with FCGI and mod_perl

This presumes someone uses FCGI and/or mod-perl, which is, unfortunately, a bad assumption.  Especially on a hosted site.

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 14:51 , George Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 07/01/2016 05:26 PM, Vicki Brown wrote:
>> The xview magic is from the ShorterUrlCookbook,  "Option 2a: Complete example as .htaccess".
>>
>> I presume it's to ensure that use of view works "as expected". Otherwise, the htaccess code would describe a redirect loop.
> I've not gone through that in any detail   I actually thought that topic
> was obsolete, as most of the short URL support is now built in, or
> covered in the installation guide.
>
> The recommended patches to Foswiki.pm and manual editing of the
> LocalSite.cfg are not needed any more.   Much of that topic should be
> deleted.  Unfortunately there are a lot of "user contributed" support
> documents that have become rather obsolete.  We really need more
> volunteers to find these things and  fix them.
>> This change was apparently made deliberately. Why?
>>

> I'm not good with Why questions.  But the change was made back in 2010
> by a developer who's not been around lately.  My guess is by recovering
> the action from the path that way, it's possible to use only a single
> script for all of the actions.  And in some platforms, that's already
> true.  I might be wrong, but with FCGI and mod_perl, I don't believe
> that any of the action specific bin scripts are used.
>
> George

-- Vicki Brown
  cfcl.com/vlb