FCGI Timing Out: How to get more info

David Mitchell
For reasons I’m not sure of my Foswiki installation is generating 500 errors due to mod_fcgid not returning in time. It’s happening when I try to save edits in the Main web. I can save edits in other webs without issue and it doesn’t time out. Are there any lock files which I can check for or something? If there are any errors being logged I can’t find them. I suspect any error output from the edit code would be lost with the FCGI timeout. Any tips on tracking this down would be appreciated. Thanks,

-David Mitchell

--
David Mitchell, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

Re: FCGI Timing Out: How to get more info

George Clark-2
Are you running the Foswiki page cache?  If there are a lot of page
dependencies this can slow things down.   For example, editing
SitePreferences can invalidate all pages in the cache, which takes some
time.  Running the page cache with Postgres, MySQL, or MariaDB is
recommended over sqlite.

What do you have in your fcgi configuation?   On foswik.org, we run:

<IfModule mod_fcgid.c>
    FcgidMaxRequestsPerProcess 100
    FcgidMaxProcessesPerClass 8
    FcgidBusyTimeout 180
    FcgidIOTimeout 180
    FcgidMaxRequestLen 100000000
</IfModule>

George Clark

On 03/30/2016 09:52 AM, David Mitchell wrote:

> For reasons I’m not sure of my Foswiki installation is generating 500 errors due to mod_fcgid not returning in time. It’s happening when I try to save edits in the Main web. I can save edits in other webs without issue and it doesn’t time out. Are there any lock files which I can check for or something? If there are any errors being logged I can’t find them. I suspect any error output from the edit code would be lost with the FCGI timeout. Any tips on tracking this down would be appreciated. Thanks,
>
> -David Mitchell
>
> --
> David Mitchell, Network Engineer
> Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
> Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL)
> Email:[hidden email]  Phone:(510) 936-0720

Re: FCGI Timing Out: How to get more info

David Mitchell
George,

thanks for the tips. I was editing User and Registration related pages in the Main web so perhaps that was triggering lots of dependencies. I’ll look into speeding up that aspect of my installation. By FCGI configuration is similar to yours except with 300 second timeouts. Which is part of what makes me wonder what is taking so long. Five minutes is a long time to wait.

-David Mitchell