Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

Syed Akbar
Hi all,

I hope this is a appropriate way to ask for help. To put it in a nutshell:

   - Fresh Foswiki installation on shared hosting
   - Foswiki v.2.1.0
   - configuration successful
   - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
"SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
   - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
   - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although folder
permissions are the same

I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the debugging
options are quite restricted due to shared hosting environment. What can
I do to find the reason for the error? As already mentioned, the error
only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Syed

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

BramVanOosterhout
Hi Syed,
I am no expert in this area. But here are some pointers. Other people may be
more helpful.

There is some discussion about similar symptoms in the IRC log:
http://irclogs.foswiki.org/bin/irclogger_log/foswiki?date=2015-11-
22,Sun&text=on

What OS are you running? Ubuntu?

Is there more than the "End of script output before headers: view" in the
apache log: /var/log/apache2/error_log?

Is there anything in the   foswiki error log
 /var/www/Foswiki<version>/working/logs/error.log?

When you say:
>    - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> folder permissions are the same

Do you mean that you copied the contents of the System.SkinBrowser page to
the Sandbox and then the page (search) works?

regards...
Bram van Oosterhout

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:40:15 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this is a appropriate way to ask for help. To put it in a nutshell:
>
>    - Fresh Foswiki installation on shared hosting
>    - Foswiki v.2.1.0
>    - configuration successful
>    - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
>    - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
>    - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> folder permissions are the same
>
> I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the
> debugging options are quite restricted due to shared hosting
> environment. What can I do to find the reason for the error? As
> already mentioned, the error only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Syed

Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

BramVanOosterhout
Hi Syed,
I am no expert in this area. But here are some pointers. Other people may be
more helpful.

There is some discussion about similar symptoms in the IRC log:
http://irclogs.foswiki.org/bin/irclogger_log/foswiki?date=2015-11-
22,Sun&text=on

What OS are you running? Ubuntu?

Is there more than the "End of script output before headers: view" in the
apache log: /var/log/apache2/error_log?

Is there anything in the   foswiki error log
 /var/www/Foswiki<version>/working/logs/error.log?

When you say:
>    - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> folder permissions are the same

Do you mean that you copied the contents of the System.SkinBrowser page to
the Sandbox and then the page (search) works?

regards...
Bram van Oosterhout

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:40:15 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote

> Hi all,
>
> I hope this is a appropriate way to ask for help. To put it in a nutshell:
>
>    - Fresh Foswiki installation on shared hosting
>    - Foswiki v.2.1.0
>    - configuration successful
>    - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
>    - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
>    - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> folder permissions are the same
>
> I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the
> debugging options are quite restricted due to shared hosting
> environment. What can I do to find the reason for the error? As
> already mentioned, the error only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Syed

Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

Syed Akbar
Hello,

Am 28.03.2016 um 15:12 schrieb Bram van Oosterhout:
> Hi Syed,
> I am no expert in this area. But here are some pointers. Other people may be
> more helpful.
>
> There is some discussion about similar symptoms in the IRC log:
> http://irclogs.foswiki.org/bin/irclogger_log/foswiki?date=2015-11-
> 22,Sun&text=on
I've tried to set all file permissions as statet, but still the same
error. Actually I doubt that it is solvable by setting permissions in my
case.

> What OS are you running? Ubuntu?
Gentoo 2.2

Oh, I've just noticed a provider information concerning script execution
resources. I have only 15 seconds CPU time (notice: CPU, not overall
elapsed time) per script available.  I don't know how fast this amount
of CPU execution time is consumed, but this might cause the script error.

> Is there more than the "End of script output before headers: view" in the
> apache log: /var/log/apache2/error_log?
Unfortunately I don't have access to the server log settings, so this is
the only logging information I've got.

> Is there anything in the   foswiki error log
>   /var/www/Foswiki<version>/working/logs/error.log?
No, nothing in the Foswiki logs. I haven't changed the default log
settings, maybe it is possible to enable a more detailed logging mode?!

> When you say:
>>     - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
>> folder permissions are the same
> Do you mean that you copied the contents of the System.SkinBrowser page to
> the Sandbox and then the page (search) works?
I've copied the whole file (SkinBrowser.txt) to other directories
(Main/Sandbox) where it is executed without any problems. Also other
%SEARCH% macro definitions with format statement raise trouble when
placed in the %SYSTEMWEB% folder.

> regards...
> Bram van Oosterhout

Regards,
Syed

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:40:15 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I hope this is a appropriate way to ask for help. To put it in a nutshell:
>>
>>     - Fresh Foswiki installation on shared hosting
>>     - Foswiki v.2.1.0
>>     - configuration successful
>>     - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
>> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
>>     - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
>>     - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
>> folder permissions are the same
>>
>> I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the
>> debugging options are quite restricted due to shared hosting
>> environment. What can I do to find the reason for the error? As
>> already mentioned, the error only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Syed

> Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

BramVanOosterhout

Hi Syed,

I understand from:
"I've copied the whole file (SkinBrowser.txt) to other directories
(Main/Sandbox) where it is executed without any problems. Also other
%SEARCH% macro definitions with format statement raise trouble when
placed in the %SYSTEMWEB% folder. "

that the SEARCH for skins gives the correct display (compare
http://foswiki.org/System/SkinBrowser) when the topic SkinBrowser.txt is in
the Sandbox. So the search works.

And that any search with a format parameter, even something as simple as
%SEARCH{ "1" web="%SYSTEMWEB%" format="$topic" }%
works in the Sandbox web, and fails in the System web.

Whereas %SEARCH{ "1" web="%SYSTEMWEB%" }% works in both webs.

Is that correct?

(Note: The search for "1" (true) returns all topics)

Is it the same when you are logged in to Foswiki as a registered user?

Re: > Is there anything in the   foswiki error log
>   /var/www/Foswiki<version>/working/logs/error.log?
No, nothing in the Foswiki logs. I haven't changed the default log
settings, maybe it is possible to enable a more detailed logging mode?!

There should be an entry in the events log:  /var/www/Foswiki<version>/working/logs/events.log. Is there?

Re:  I have only 15 seconds CPU time
This should not be an issue. Responses to the queries above are a few seconds
round trip at most. server side they are under a second.

I am unaware of any special restrictions in the System web. Especially if the
search is successful from a topic in the Sandbox, but not in the System web I
suspect that the issue is not the search, or the topics that are being
searched. They are the same, regardless what web the topic with the search
macro is in.

I suggest you look carefully at:
1. the Foswiki configuration page. Are there ary warnings there?
2. The Apache configuration. Considering your installation is hosted, I
assume you are using the .htaccess files for configuration.

Is that correct?

Finally, there are some debugging opportunities. I have never had to use
them, but they may throw some light on your problem.

https://foswiki.org/Development/WhatIsGoingWrong

If you can get to the command line in the Foswiki bin directory, you should
be able to investigate through:

sudo -u <web server user> perl -d ./view System.SkinBrowser

Hope this helps.

Bram van Oosterhout

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 16:38:54 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote
> [...]
> >>     - configuration successful
> >>     - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
> >> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
> >>     - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
> >>     - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> >> folder permissions are the same
> >>
> >> I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the
> >> debugging options are quite restricted due to shared hosting
> >> environment. What can I do to find the reason for the error? As
> >> already mentioned, the error only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Syed

---
> > --
> >> Transform Data into Opportunity.
> >> Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
> >> Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.

Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

Syed Akbar
Hi Bram,

many thanks for replying:

1. yes: simple search works also in %SYSTEMWEB%

2. yes: problem occurs as admin and as registered user

3. events.log: "| 2016-03-30T14:53:01+02:00 info | admin | view | System.SkinBrowser |  (GET) Firefox | 91.0.20.16 |"

4. There is currently one warning left in the Foswiki configuration page, but I don't think it is important: Extensions -> PlainFileStoreContrib -> [x] {Extensions}{PlainFileStoreContrib}{CheckForRCS}: "This setting can be disabled for slightly improved performance once you can ensure that no RCS history exists within your Store. "

5. shared hosting, no access to apache configuration files, using .htaccess as described in the installation instructions, no additional modifications

6. Iam afraid debugging won't be so easy: no ssh access, humble apache and perl knowledge...

Regards,
Syed

Am 30.03.2016 um 14:26 schrieb Bram van Oosterhout:

Hi Syed,

I understand from:
> [...]

> >>     - configuration successful
> >>     - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
> >> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
> >>     - Apache error log: "End of script output before headers: view"
> >>     - same page in other Webs (Main/Sandbox) works fine, although
> >> folder permissions are the same
> >>
> >> I am not very familiar with Apache and Perl.  Furthermore the
> >> debugging options are quite restricted due to shared hosting
> >> environment. What can I do to find the reason for the error? As
> >> already mentioned, the error only occurs on %SYSTEMWEB%-pages.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Syed

---
> > --
> >> Transform Data into Opportunity.
> >> Accelerate data analysis in your applications with
> >> Intel Data Analytics Acceleration Library.

Bram van Oosterhout

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

BramVanOosterhout

Hi Syed,
I am stumped. From your responses:
   + it is clear that the request to view System.SkinBrowser reaches foswiki (events.log).
   + since there is no message in the error log, I expect the request completes successfully
   + but the result does not reach the apache server (it times out)

So it appears that the output created by the System.SkinBrowser topic leads to something that apache does not like. And that is not the same content that is produced by the Sandbox.SkinBrowser topic.

Is your wiki site available across the network? Can I see it?

Sorry to be so unhelpful.
Regards...

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:12:19 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote

> [...]

> > > the Sandbox and then the page (search) works?
> > I've copied the whole file (SkinBrowser.txt) to other directories
> > (Main/Sandbox) where it is executed without any problems. Also other
> > %SEARCH% macro definitions with format statement raise trouble when
> > placed in the %SYSTEMWEB% folder.
> >

> > > regards...
> > > Bram van Oosterhout
> >
> > Regards,
> > Syed
> >

> > > On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 13:40:15 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote

> nutshell:

> ---
> > > --
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bram van Oosterhout

> Bram van Oosterhout

Transform Data into
Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications

Re: {W} Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error - Timeout in System web

BramVanOosterhout

Hi Syed,

You were right the first time. I set the apache Timeout parameter on my installation to 15 seconds, like you wrote in your second email.

And I get the symptoms you report: a timeout on System.SkinBrowser and success on Sandbox.SkinBrowserCopy

No message in the foswiki error log.

The apache error.log shows:

=======================

[Thu Mar 31 23:50:23.321761 2016] [cgi:warn] [pid 18028:tid 2928606016] [client 192.168.1.158:58220] AH01220: Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /var/www/Foswiki-2.0.3/bin/view, referer: http://192.168.1.170/wiki/bin/view/System/WebPreferences#Writing_preference_settings

[Thu Mar 31 23:50:23.321819 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 18028:tid 2928606016] [client 192.168.1.158:58220] Script timed out before returning headers: view, referer: http://192.168.1.170/wiki/bin/view/System/WebPreferences#Writing_preference_settings

=======================

I removed the Include from the end of the System.WebPreferences topic, but the result remains the same. Apache times out with error.log:

=======================

[Thu Mar 31 23:58:42.587338 2016] [cgi:warn] [pid 18028:tid 2987354944] [client 192.168.1.158:58246] AH01220: Timeout waiting for output from CGI script /var/www/Foswiki-2.0.3/bin/view, referer: http://192.168.1.170/wiki/bin/view/System/WebPreferences

[Thu Mar 31 23:58:42.587388 2016] [cgi:error] [pid 18028:tid 2987354944] [client 192.168.1.158:58246] Script timed out before returning headers: view, referer: http://192.168.1.170/wiki/bin/view/System/WebPreferences

=======================

I can investigate this further, but it is after midnight here. I will get back to this tomorrow.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Why does the SkinBrowser topic take longer to render in System, than in Sandbox?

regards...

On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 18:28:33 +1100, Bram van Oosterhout wrote

--
Bram van Oosterhout

On 03/28/2016 07:40 AM, Syed Akbar wrote:
>  - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500

In thinking about this a bit and looking at the SkinBrowser source, it's
using regular expressions in $pattern() format tokens to search the
installed skins.  (Any topics in System web ending in Skin.)

Do you have any other skins installed on your Foswiki installation?  It
could be that some topic is causing the regular expressions to loop
somehow.  Foswiki 2.x ships with PatternSkin,  PlainSkin and
PrintSkin.    Are there any others on your system?

George

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error

Syed Akbar
Hi George,

Am 31.03.2016 um 16:02 schrieb George Clark:

> Hi Syed,
>
> On 03/28/2016 07:40 AM, Syed Akbar wrote:
>>   - formatted %SEARCH% macro on pages in %SYSTEMWEB% (e.g. topic
>> "SkinBrowser") results in html error 500
> In thinking about this a bit and looking at the SkinBrowser source, it's
> using regular expressions in $pattern() format tokens to search the
> installed skins.  (Any topics in System web ending in Skin.)
>
> Do you have any other skins installed on your Foswiki installation?  It
> could be that some topic is causing the regular expressions to loop
> somehow.  Foswiki 2.x ships with PatternSkin,  PlainSkin and
> PrintSkin.    Are there any others on your system?
No, I have a fresh installed Foswiki (v2.1.0). I haven't modified
anything except neccessary setup configuration.

> George

Syed

Re: {W} Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: script error - Timeout in System web

Syed Akbar
Hello again,

now I can definitely confirm, that the provider's limitations are the cause of the discussed symptoms. So I apologize for the resulting effort. Thanks for your help so far.

Regards,
Syed

--
Bram van Oosterhout

Transform Data into Opportunity.
Click to learn more.

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: SkinBrowser times out

BramVanOosterhout
Hi Syed,

I have done some investigation in the search associated with the System.SkinBrowser page. The issue is reproducible on Foswiki 2.0.3 out of the box and the results below are obtained in that environment. Apache Timeout set to 15 seconds.

1. the search for the Skins is slow because it looks at many more topics than necessary for the PatternSkin. The search also checks:
   * PatternSkinTheme
   * PatternSkinTheme2009
   * PatternSkinThemeFatWilly
   * PatternSkinCss
   * PatternSkinCssCookbook
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookCenterPage
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookEditTableStyle
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookFonts
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookNoLeftBar
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookNoTopBar
   * PatternSkinCustomization
   * PatternSkinGraphics
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookHideActions
   * PatternSkinCssCookbookSidebarBackground
   * PatternSkinHorizontalNavigationExample
   * PatternSkinHorizontalNavigationExample
   * PatternSkinNavigation
   * PatternSkinTheme115.
   * PatternSkinThemeFatWillyNavigation

No idea why it does that, but it definitely does.

With all these topics to look at, it does an awful lot of pattern matching, which is slow as illustrated by the screenshot from the nytprof(iler). See: https://foswiki.org/Sandbox/ReFoswiki210onsharedhostingSkinBrowsertimesout

2. I cannot locate where in the code or why the search tries to investigate the extra PatternSkin topics. but it can be avoided by changing the search to:
%SEARCH{
    "^.*Skin$"        <===
    topic="*Skin"
    scope="title"     <===
    web="%SYSTEMWEB%,TWiki"
    type="regex"      <===
    nosearch="on"
    casesensitive="on"
    nototal="on"
    expandvariables="on"
    format="| $pattern(.*\| *Screenshot\:[^\|]*\|([^\|]*).*) | *[[$web.$topic][$topic]]*: $pattern(.*\| *Description\:[^\|]*\|([^\|]*).*)<br /><br />[[%SCRIPTURLPATH{"view"}%/%WEB%/%TOPIC%?skin=$pattern(.*\| *Base Name\:[^\|]*\| *(\S*).*)][preview with this topic]] |"
}%

The search succeeds, but now the PatternSkin is not included. Again, no idea why. The topic PatternSkin.txt is in the directory.

3. I have to leave this at this point, since I have exhausted my knowledge and understanding. Don't be discouraged by this behaviour. Search works well and I do routinely search webs with more that 1000 topics under 15 seconds. The SkinBrowser behaviour is unusual.

All the best.
Bram van Oosterhout
On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:22:55 +0200, Syed Akbar wrote

> [...]

Transform Data into

Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications

with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration

Library.
Click to learn

more.

> > --
> > Bram van Oosterhout
> >

> --
> Bram van Oosterhout

Transform Data into

Opportunity.
Accelerate data analysis in your applications

with
Intel Data Analytics Acceleration

Library.
Click to learn

more.

Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: SkinBrowser times out

George Clark-2
Hi  Bram,

On 04/01/2016 08:53 PM, Bram van Oosterhout wrote:
1. the search for the Skins is slow because it looks at many more topics than necessary for the PatternSkin. The search also checks:
I don't understand this ...   The current SkinBrowser search is:

%SEARCH{
    "1"
    topic="*Skin"

topic="*Skin"  is a wildcard and will ONLY match topics ending in "Skin"   So 3 topics are matched.  (4 if casesensitive is not enabled).

A quick test on my dev system, in the System web,

%SEARCH{ "1" topic="*Skin" scope="topic" format="$topic" casesensitive="on" type="query"}%
Returns 3 names here.

PatternSkin PlainSkin PrintSkin

Even still, 3 hits or 15 hits,  it should not be taking 15 seconds.    If that test search returns more than the 3 skin names on a default install, something is seriously broken.

As far as your regex search:

The search succeeds, but now the PatternSkin is not included. Again, no idea why. The topic PatternSkin.txt is in the directory.

We have a typo in the documentation.   The correct syntax is scope=topic   to search the topic names.   scope="title" fails the validation, and ends up defaulting to "text".   Change your search to scope="topic" and it finds the 3 names.

George

Re: Foswiki 2.1.0 on shared hosting: SkinBrowser

BramVanOosterhout
Hi Syed,

George Clark did some digging in the issue you reported. Details are at:
https://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item14039

The issue "is caused by our conversion to unicode. Until you get to perl 5.20
or 5.22, regexes have a terrible performance issue when matching unicode strings"

"And... This is not a bug in search. There are actually multiple searches on
those pages." You can address the issue by:

1. editing the PatternSkin topic and changing

%SEARCH{ "%TOPIC%" scope="topic" nosearch="on" nototal="on"
format="$pattern(.*\| *Screenshot\:[^\|]*\|([^\|]*).*)" }%

and adding topic="%TOPIC%" to get:

%SEARCH{ "%TOPIC%" scope="topic" topic="%TOPIC%" nosearch="on" nototal="on"
format="$pattern(.*\| *Screenshot\:[^\|]*\|([^\|]*).*)" }%

This will improve the performance of all pages rendered in the pattern skin
(default)

2. editing WebLeftBarExample and changing

%SEARCH{"parent.name='Category' AND name!='%BASETOPIC%'" web="%BASEWEB%"
type="query"

and adding  topic="*Category" to get:
%SEARCH{"parent.name='Category' AND name!='%BASETOPIC%'" web="%BASEWEB%"
topic="*Category" type="query"

This will improve the performance of all pages rendered in the System web.

With these changes System.SkinBrowser will display in less than 15 seconds.

All the best
--
Bram van Oosterhout