Foswiki 2.1.3 is available to Download

George Clark-2

Foswiki 2.1.3 is released

The Foswiki project is very pleased to announce availability of Foswiki 2.1.3.

Mostly 2016 has been a quiet year, as Foswiki 2.1.2 has been running very reliably. But while the project has been quiet, much work has been going on preparing for the next release. And here it is.

In fact, everybody is urged to upgrade as this one comes with a few important fixes, not only cleaning up the code, improving performance, but also addressing a couple of security bugs. We have been working together with Intel who performed dynamic site scans to detect common cross-site scripting attacks as well as static scans of the perl and javascript code base itself. A big “Thank You” from the Foswiki Community to Intel who continue to run security audits on a regular base.

We also thank the many Foswiki users who have taken the time to report issues in our Tasks web, and in many cases also suggest fixes.  We also welcome users to fork Foswiki on Github and contribute fixes using pull requests.  We are grateful to everyone who's contributions have made this release possible.

How to get the release?

Installation instructions

For installation information, see the System Requirements and the Installation Guide. Please report issues in the Task Tracker.

We are looking forward to an interesting 2017 in the Foswiki space. There are several feature proposals under review which could be quite transforming for the next major Foswiki release.

Highlights of this release

  • Contains 96 fixes relative to 2.1.0 (42 of which are enhancements)
  • New release of JQuery
  • Fixes for several performance issues
  • Fixes for a few minor security issues
  • An updated Virtual Machine has been built, using the latest Ubuntu LTS release
See ReleaseNotes02x01 for complete release notes.

Release Statistics

  • 272 commits (code changes) since 2.1.2
  • 18 Developers and Translators committed changes to this release
  • 98 Tasks had commits in this release
  • 7 Security tasks were closed in 2.1.3

Security Fixes:

This release includes fixes for a number of Severity 3 security vulnerabilities.  These are described in further detail in Support.SecurityAlert-XSSIssues-2017-0201.  We recommend Foswiki 2.x sites should upgrade to Foswiki 2.1.3 as soon as possible.  As there are numerous security related fixes in the Foswiki 2.x releases relative to Foswiki 1.x, sites  still running Foswiki 1.x should evaluate migrating to Foswiki 2.1.3 with some urgency.

See Security Alert Process for more details on how the Foswiki project handles security issues.

For Users

  • Several performance fixes improve Foswiki's responsiveness.
  • A user contributed WebSideBar toggle button can be enabled. This renders a small "Hamburger" icon to restore the side bar when viewing Foswiki on a small device. See System.PatternSkinCssCookbookSidebarToggle.
  • Several markup issues when using the Wysiwyg editor have been resolved.

For administrators

  • A new PendingRegistrations page shows registrations awaiting validation and/or approval.
  • A potential major data loss issue was detected for sites upgrading from Foswiki 1.x related to Unicode DataForm field names. This release provides a workaround.
  • Improvements in bootstrap for certain Nginx, Apache, and BSD platforms and configurations, and when running Foswiki behind a web proxy.
  • Improvements in the Email configuration Wizard to better detect / support SSL Certificates.
  • The {Sessions}{CookieRealm} now applies to more cookies resulting in better sharing between Foswiki sites.

Translations

As of this release, Chinese (Taiwan), French, Italian and Ukrainian are 100% complete. Czech, Danish, German and Klingon are >95% complete. Many other languages are >50% translated including Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish and Swedish.

Foswiki is now using continuous translation, so contributions at any time are very helpful. Help is always needed in this area as we are constantly looking for people that could spend some time translating, especially if your own native language is not English. You are welcome to join the Translation Team. Have a look at our Weblate translation server. Please contact [hidden email]. Foswiki thanks the Translators for their Herculean efforts.

Special thanks to all the developers, translators and testers who have worked to make this release possible.

George Clark
Release Manager, Foswiki 2.1