Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Raymond Lutz
Hi:
I'm fiddling with the 1.0.5 upgrade, and I discovered some goofy file
references in the upgrade release that will cause others headaches.

For data/System/SlideShowPlugin.txt we see attachments with bogus path
names:

%META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
Presentation button" date="1037759933"
path="C:\Data\MyTWiki\Plugins\SlideShowPlugin\pub\TWiki\SlideShowPlugin\startpres.gif"
size="2065" user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%

It looks like these are remnants from someone's local installation and
need to be changes to simple file names like:

%META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
Presentation button" date="1237753321" path="startpres.gif" size="2065"
user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%

This may be a problem in a number of other files in the release.
Should I go through the process of reporting these as bugs in the Tasks
web??

--Raymond

--
---------------------------------------
Raymond Lutz

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Eugen Mayer
Hello Raymond,

yes, this is a bug which needs to be reported. Seems like thats a fixed
path out of Kenneths windows-evaluation installation.

Thanks for reporting!

br

Eugen

--
Eugen Mayer <[hidden email]>
Impressive.media GbR

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Kenneth Lavrsen
I never ever released anything out of a Windows based installation.

In fact I have not personally run a Windows installation since I tested
1.0.0

These paths come when you upload attachments. It is the location where
the file came from.

I do not think the path is used for anything and should not cause any
headaches.

There is already an old bug raised by me that the meta data for
attachments contain a lot of useless content but since it does no harm
noone has yet taken the action to do something about it.

In my view uploading an attachment should only put the fields that are
actually used and the original path from where it came is for sure
something that should not be saved in meta.

Kenneth

Eugen Mayer wrote:

> Hello Raymond,
>
> yes, this is a bug which needs to be reported. Seems like thats a fixed
> path out of Kenneths windows-evaluation installation.
>
> Thanks for reporting!
>
> br
>
> Eugen
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 28.05.2009, 04:50 +0800 schrieb Raymond Lutz:
>
>> Hi:
>> I'm fiddling with the 1.0.5 upgrade, and I discovered some goofy file
>> references in the upgrade release that will cause others headaches.
>>
>> For data/System/SlideShowPlugin.txt we see attachments with bogus path
>> names:
>>
>> %META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
>> Presentation button" date="1037759933"
>> path="C:\Data\MyTWiki\Plugins\SlideShowPlugin\pub\TWiki\SlideShowPlugin\startpres.gif"
>> size="2065" user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%
>>
>> It looks like these are remnants from someone's local installation and
>> need to be changes to simple file names like:
>>
>> %META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
>> Presentation button" date="1237753321" path="startpres.gif" size="2065"
>> user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%
>>
>> This may be a problem in a number of other files in the release.
>> Should I go through the process of reporting these as bugs in the Tasks
>> web??
>>
>> --Raymond

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Eugen Mayer
Hello,

wasnt an offense :)

Actually it is default Browser policy, that you cat read the path where
the file came from. So its highly unlikely that this file has been
uploaded by the browser at all.

Anyway, like you said, its a minor - but need to be fixed anyway.

br

Eugen

Am Donnerstag, den 28.05.2009, 07:29 +0200 schrieb Kenneth Lavrsen:

> I never ever released anything out of a Windows based installation.
>
> In fact I have not personally run a Windows installation since I tested
> 1.0.0
>
> These paths come when you upload attachments. It is the location where
> the file came from.
>
> I do not think the path is used for anything and should not cause any
> headaches.
>
> There is already an old bug raised by me that the meta data for
> attachments contain a lot of useless content but since it does no harm
> noone has yet taken the action to do something about it.
>
> In my view uploading an attachment should only put the fields that are
> actually used and the original path from where it came is for sure
> something that should not be saved in meta.
>
> Kenneth
>

> Eugen Mayer wrote:
> > Hello Raymond,
> >
> > yes, this is a bug which needs to be reported. Seems like thats a fixed
> > path out of Kenneths windows-evaluation installation.
> >
> > Thanks for reporting!
> >
> > br
> >
> > Eugen
> >
> > Am Donnerstag, den 28.05.2009, 04:50 +0800 schrieb Raymond Lutz:
> >
> >> Hi:
> >> I'm fiddling with the 1.0.5 upgrade, and I discovered some goofy file
> >> references in the upgrade release that will cause others headaches.
> >>
> >> For data/System/SlideShowPlugin.txt we see attachments with bogus path
> >> names:
> >>
> >> %META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
> >> Presentation button" date="1037759933"
> >> path="C:\Data\MyTWiki\Plugins\SlideShowPlugin\pub\TWiki\SlideShowPlugin\startpres.gif"
> >> size="2065" user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%
> >>
> >> It looks like these are remnants from someone's local installation and
> >> need to be changes to simple file names like:
> >>
> >> %META:FILEATTACHMENT{name="startpres.gif" attr="h" comment="Start
> >> Presentation button" date="1237753321" path="startpres.gif" size="2065"
> >> user="ProjectContributor" version="1.1"}%
> >>
> >> This may be a problem in a number of other files in the release.
> >> Should I go through the process of reporting these as bugs in the Tasks
> >> web??
> >>
> >> --Raymond

Eugen Mayer <[hidden email]>
Impressive.media GbR

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Kenneth Lavrsen
Eugen Mayer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> wasnt an offense :)

Did not see it as ;-)
> Actually it is default Browser policy, that you cat read the path where
> the file came from. So its highly unlikely that this file has been
> uploaded by the browser at all.

FF and IE behaves differently in exactly this point.
> Anyway, like you said, its a minor - but need to be fixed anyway.
>
> br
>
> Eugen

Yep. But it should be fixed in core on the already existing bug report.
Removing the path from the many places we have things like this (in
plugins mainly) is not worth the effort as it does not harm anything

Kenneth

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Michael Tempest
On 5/28/09, Kenneth Lavrsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> These paths come when you upload attachments. It is the location where
> the file came from.
>
> I do not think the path is used for anything and should not cause any
> headaches.

That path would be useful for people (like me) who maintain a file
locally, and distribute it to others by uploading it as an attachment.
I always upload that file from the same place, so it would be useful
if I didn't have to fill it in every time.

I suppose there are probably security issues around this.
Nevertheless, it would be useful.

Regards
Michael

Re: Goofyness in 1.0.5 Upgrade

Raymond Lutz
I submitted a task here:
http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1671

there are three files that have inappropriate path names. When I installed foswiki, I had to reattach these files as they could not be found in the usual pub location. Although it is not a show-stopper, the attachments of those plugins will not be available, at least from what I went through to fix it when I initially migrated to foswiki. Is my memory serving me? I noted that in my release, the version of each file was bumped and I had to attach those files. So when I compare my install with the new 1.0.5 release, my install has short file names, like "icon.jpg" but the new release has the longer names, like "C:/Temp...blah blah/icon.jpg". Although I don't think I realized it at the time, I had to find and attach these files because they were missing.

My thoughts are that:
1. we probably should search for similar strings throughout the release to see if any other inappropriate path names exist. These obviously should not be part of the default release even if they are disregarded.
2. There is something about the development platform someone is using such that pathnames are added. Fixing the bug will mean fixing how releases are built, I would imagine.

Again, just typical clean up that will make it easier to install and use.

--Raymond

Michael Tempest wrote:
[...]

Drew Stevenson
Hey Ray,

I think what Eugen was saying is that those paths aren't used to
display the attachments. In fact, depending on the browser you use,
there shouldn't even be a "path" parameter.

As far as I know Foswiki and TWiki before it pretty much rely on
convention to find attachments. ie All attachments for "data/SomeWeb/
SomeTopic" live in "pub/SomeWeb/SomeTopic/".

My guess is the images in question were missing from your install or
the upgrade (or both).

Hope this helps,

Drew

On May 28, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Raymond Lutz wrote:

> [...]
>> Michael

>> Register Now for Creativity and Technology (CaT), June 3rd, NYC. CaT
>> is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand creativity
>> professionals. Meet
>> the minds behind Google Creative Lab, Visual Complexity,
>> Processing, &
>> iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital heavyweights like
>> Barbarian
>> Group, R/GA, & Big Spaceship. http://p.sf.net/sfu/creativitycat-com

> Raymond Lutz
> Cognisys, Inc.
> 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
> El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
> Voice 619-447-3246
> http//www.cognisys.com
> is a gathering of tech-side developers & brand creativity
> professionals. Meet
> iPhoneDevCamp as they present alongside digital heavyweights like

I see. Then the "goofyness" is quite innocuous and can be ignored, I agree.

I will modify the task item to reflect this conversation. I changed Priority to Low and CurrentState as Confirmed.
http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1671

The fact that the topic file for Smilies, for example, has been bumped in version with file names fixed in my install I think has to do with the fact that I installed (and used) UpdateAttachmentsPlugin. I already reported the bug that even if you specify a specific web, UpdateAttachmentsPlugin goes through ALL webs and likely modified these topic files when it found attachments and could not exactly match the file name. Processing the System web to attach unattached files is probably inappropriate and only results in longer run times.

http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1672

Details my observation about the operation of UpdateAttachmentsPlugin. I haven't explored the code to confirm my suspicions.

--Raymond