Help on ATTACHURL

Philippe Liège-4
Hello,

I wish to specify manually the attachment directory of a topic.

I have tried the following in Edit Topic Settings :

* Set ATTACHURL = %PUBURL%/NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory/

* Set ATTACHURLPATH = NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory

Bu this does not work.

Any advice ?

Best regards.

Philippe LIEGE

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Oliver Krüger-2
Hello Philippe,

> * Set ATTACHURL = %PUBURL%/NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory/
> * Set ATTACHURLPATH = NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory

Those vars are not meant to be set by the user. Try to construct your
url manually with %PUBURL% and hardcoded parts:

%PUBURL%/NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory

(if that (non-foswiki-)directory exists).

Gr,
Oliver

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Philippe Liège-4
Hello Oliver,

Many thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that when creating a new topic, one may the specify the URL of
an (non-foswiki-) existing directory instead of entering a WikiWord only?

Regards
Philippe

> * Set ATTACHURL = %PUBURL%/NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory/
> * Set ATTACHURLPATH = NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory

Those vars are not meant to be set by the user. Try to construct your url
manually with %PUBURL% and hardcoded parts:

%PUBURL%/NameOfWeb/NameOftargetDirectory

(if that (non-foswiki-)directory exists).

Gr,
Oliver

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Oliver Krüger-2
Hello Philippe,

> Do you mean that when creating a new topic, one may the specify the URL of
> an (non-foswiki-) existing directory instead of entering a WikiWord only?

Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

You have a topic named Myweb.MyTopic and attach a file named
"foobar.txt" to it. You get the following on the filesystem:
/path/to/foswiki/pub/Myweb/MyTopic/foobar.txt

Within the topic you can refer to that via:

%ATTACHURL%/foobar.txt
%PUBURL%/Myweb/MyTopic/foobar.txt
and other methods.

Gr,
Oliver

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Colas Nahaboo
On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Oliver Krueger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts
with special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going
this route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Philippe Liège-4
Hello Colas,

Oliver's comments are helpful. However, my main concern is not how to make
an hyperlink to a file contained in a non-foswiki directory.

So, I will try give further explanations.

I have got a few files in a samba share located on the same server. I would
like these files to appear as attachments in a specified foswiki topic and
after having enabled AutoAttachPubFiles. Standard users will be given a
(read-only-) access to these files using foswiki. Manager users will be
given a secured (read/write/delete-) access to these files through either
the samba share or foswiki.

My starting point there was to create a symbolic link from a directory
within the samba share (e.g. 'files01') to the topic's attachments
directory. Thus, I have now a 'files01' virtual folder in my topic's
attachments directory that gives access to files located in the samba share.
How can I get these files appear as attachments on the topic's web page?

Regards.

Philippe

wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I
guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts with
special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going this
route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Hello Philippe

Try to map the shared folder where the files are so it appears in the
foswiki server as /foswiki/pub/YourWeb/YourTopicShowingAttachments.

If you have linux in the server it is easier. Something like this:

smbmount //server/files01 /var/www/foswiki/pub/YourWeb/YourTopicShowingAttachments -o username=...,password=...,workgroup=...

If it is windows I am not sure right now how to do it but there must be
a way.

Regards,

Enrique

wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I
guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts with
special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going this
route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Copextel Villa Clara
Jabber: cadalso_vc

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Philippe Liège-4
Hello Enrique,

I was trying the reverse operation but you are probably right. I will edit
my smb.conf file and create a new 'share'. Then, I will help myself to set
the user/group permissions on the folder
/foswiki/pub/YourWeb/YourTopicShowingAttachments. One way is to make samba
users become members of the www-data group(debian install). Well, there
might be security issues doing this...

Thanks

Philipe

wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I
guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts with
special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going this
route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Copextel Villa Clara
Jabber: cadalso_vc

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Colas Nahaboo
It seems what you want is actually a WEBDAV solution. Alas none exists
yet http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item141

It would suggest going a simpler route:

[1] have your authors manage their documents somewhere. A Samba folder
fo instance.
[2] provide a web view to this folder (a simple apache directory view
will suffice) via an URL "U"
     apache configuration directives allow you to decorate this view,
exclude some files, add comments to them,..
     See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_autoindex.html
     Some of this configuration can be a header.html file in this dir,
thus editable via samba by the authors
[3] %INCLUDE{"U"}% in your wiki page.

Alternatively, you can have people manage documents in a Document
Management System (sharepoint, KT, alfresco, ...) and %INCLUDE a view
of its directories.

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Enrique Cadalso Quero
I tested it on my local foswiki installation and it works. At least
users can see the attachments and download them. The share is in a
windows 2003 server and the foswiki on ubuntu  8.10.

wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I
guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts with
special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going this
route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Copextel Villa Clara
Jabber: cadalso_vc

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Copextel Villa Clara
Jabber: cadalso_vc

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Philippe Liège-4
Hello Enrique,

Your suggestion also work on my install.

This is the command I used:

mount.cifs //server/files01 /var/lib/foswiki/pub/Quality/MyWeb/MyTopic -o
user=****,password=****,uid=33,gid=33

Uid=33 is that of www-data who is running foswiki.

The files are now shown on my topic's page. .rtf files may opened from my pc
in read-only but not the .doc ones and although both file types has same
access rights.

wrote:
> Maybe I did not get your problem. The general setup is:

I guess Philippe wants to set up things so that it can modify the
*future* behavior of the Attach button, so that attachments are saved
elsewhere.

I dont think it is possible.(*)

Philippe, yous should try to explain more the context of your problem I
guess

(*) You could code  a special Attach button calling Foswiki scripts with
special parameters I guess, but I would discourage you from going this
route, this seems forcing the tool to be used the wrong way

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Enrique Cadalso Quero
Copextel Villa Clara
Jabber: cadalso_vc

Re: Help on ATTACHURL

Enrique Cadalso Quero
What happens when you download the .doc files? That is, right click in
the link in the attachments table  and "Save link as" (or similar
action).