Quantcast

Mailing Lists

Tom Browder
What server programs do I need to run mailing lists for a Fosswiki site?

Is Postfix sufficient?  Or do I also need an MTA like Mailman?

Thanks and kind regards,

-Tom

Re: Mailing Lists

Tom Browder
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What server programs do I need to run mailing lists for a Fosswiki site?
>
> Is Postfix sufficient?  Or do I also need an MTA like Mailman?

I meant to say "an MLM (mailing list manager) like Mailman."

Re: Mailing Lists

George Clark-2

Foswiki has no requirement for a mailing list manager like Mailman or
Sympa.   Foswiki has an internal capability of generating emails to
lists of interested users based upon topic changes.  See the
http://foswiki.org/System/MailerContrib.  If you wan* to have mailing
lists for contact with users beyond notifications of topic changes, then
a mailing list manager can be helpful.

George Clark

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:59 AM, George Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Foswiki has no requirement for a mailing list manager like Mailman or
> Sympa.   Foswiki has an internal capability of generating emails to
> lists of interested users based upon topic changes.  See the
> http://foswiki.org/System/MailerContrib.  If you wan* to have mailing
> lists for contact with users beyond notifications of topic changes, then
> a mailing list manager can be helpful.

Thanks, George!

-Tom

Re: Mailing Lists

Vicki Brown
Can you be more specific?
Do you want Foswiki to handle your mailing lists for you??

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

On Apr 8, 2014, at 07:32 , Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What server programs do I need to run mailing lists for a Fosswiki site?
>
> Is Postfix sufficient?  Or do I also need an MTA like Mailman?
>
> Thanks and kind regards,
>
> -Tom

Re: Mailing Lists

Tom Browder
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Vicki Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you be more specific?
> Do you want Foswiki to handle your mailing lists for you??

Yes, if possible.  From what little I know about FW now I'm guessing I
can simulate a news-only mailing list by allowing only certain users
to update some kind of news page.  But it would be nice to have a
two-way list like this one.

Kind regards,

-Tom

Re: Mailing Lists

Vicki Brown
The MailInContrib extension allows email to be pulled into FW
http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailInContrib

A combination of this and additional tools, perhaps backend scripting or use of the Notification system (http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailerContrib) could be used to build a discussion list that stores everything in FW but also uses email to notify subscribers and allow them to send comments in via email.

I built something like this several years ago. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

On Apr 8, 2014, at 12:18 , Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Vicki Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can you be more specific?
>> Do you want Foswiki to handle your mailing lists for you??
>
> Yes, if possible.  From what little I know about FW now I'm guessing I
> can simulate a news-only mailing list by allowing only certain users
> to update some kind of news page.  But it would be nice to have a
> two-way list like this one.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -Tom

Re: Mailing Lists

Tom Browder
On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Vicki Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The MailInContrib extension allows email to be pulled into FW
> http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailInContrib
>
> A combination of this and additional tools, perhaps backend scripting or use of the Notification system (http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailerContrib) could be used to build a discussion list that stores everything in FW but also uses email to notify subscribers and allow them to send comments in via email.
>
> I built something like this several years ago. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

Can it be shared?

-Tom