Quantcast

Moderation

Richa Mathur
Hi,
I use foswiki and allow several users to access and upload content. However I now wish to moderate the content that is edited or uploaded on the wiki by any user such that only when I say 'yes' should the content go on air on the wiki.
What is the best way to implement this.?
Gompie

Re: Moderation

prasad

Hi Richa – Have you looked at the Workflow plugin?

I use foswiki and allow several users to access and upload content. However I now wish to moderate the content that is edited or uploaded on the wiki by any user such that only when I say 'yes' should the content go on air on the wiki.

What is the best way to implement this.?

Gompie

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Moderation

BramVanOosterhout

Hi Gompie,

Foswiki supports a workflow  through the workflow plugin extension. http://foswiki.org/Extensions/WorkflowPlugin

However, I don't believe it caters for restricting visibility. That is kind of counterintuitive for a wiki. After all the user that puts up the subject should be able to see and edit it.

Foswiki can restrict visibility, (See http://foswiki.org/System/AccessControl#Controlling_access_to_a_topic) but the documentation does not indicate whether this is integrated in the workflow plugin.

Maybe someone else in this mailinglist has experience with the visibility aspect of the workflow.

regards,

Bram

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 00:30:39 -0400, Richa Mathur wrote

--
Bram van Oosterhout

Re: Moderation

Colas Nahaboo
It depends on your use case actually.
  • For really sensitive use, you can set up 2 wikis: a "backoffice" one where people edit freely, and a read-only "frontoffice" visible to your target audience. A deamon copies the pages from the backoffice to the frontoffice when some revisions they are marked "OK" by you. How to mark OK pages can be done in many ways.
    This is used for public sites, where you do not want readers to see draft copies, even briefly, nor browse the history to see past edits. I think the BBC worked this way.
    Variants: have a button in the pages making the publishing of the current via a script runnable only by you
    Note that you will have to code some scripts to perform the copies...
  • But in the above, the frontoffice is not actually a wiki... so why not make it just a static site, via the PublishPlugin? http://foswiki.org/Extensions.PublishPlugin
  • The above could be implemented also in a single wiki with separate pages or webs for the editing and publishing + custom scripts for publish
  • If not too sensitive, just let anybody edit and monitor all changes, and revert what you do not like... this could be more the "Wiki Way"

Note that you will want to have 2 versions of a page existing at the same time: the official, visible one, and the one being worked on, so I do not think the workflow solutions will work alone as they work "in place". You could use the workflow or approval plugins on the backoffice so that peopl can request a review for publication, and have N out of M people approve... but the final "publishing" step is not built-in in foswiki "out of the box" or an addon, I am afraid... it is not what wiki are designed for, but of course they can be used to provide this kind of solution.

Colas.

--
Bram van Oosterhout

Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Moderation

Raymond Lutz
I have instituted a simple method to deal with this problem, but it is not perfect. Most pages that people add to my wiki are in the form of a "media topic" which has a "MediaForm" attached to it. When someone clicks "AddMedia" then it opens up a blank media topic with the form attached. There is a field called "Published" which can be set to "Hidden" if it should be first hidden from view. The topics are not wikiword linked into the site but instead use a generic name like Mnnnn like M1643 using AUTOINC. These are not listed in SEARCH results unless the formfield "Published" is not "Hidden". But they can still be found in generic searches, and really are there and viewable.

The method above is not universal because it relies on a formfield that I had to establish, and requires the cooperation from the user to leave it "Hidden" until it is either done or it is reviewed.

This is the method by which I am planning to allow topic creation by sending emails to the foswiki, leaving them Hidden until reviewed.

I have to say that I still find the learning curve is steep for foswiki users, and most are scared to death to actually get their hands dirty by creating pages.

Note for foswiki designers:
The problem with the plugin structure in use today is that you can't apply a plugin that uses formfields onto topics that already have an form defined. In other words, this is a one-form world, and that means only one plugin that uses form fields, which is too bad. It would be nice if plugins could add a view formfields and dedicate them mostly for their use without stomping on existing formfields. Thus, you could add a form to every page that is created that has the "Published" field without needing to bother existing or future form fields.

--Ray Lutz

--
Bram van Oosterhout

Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Moderation

Stefanos Kouzof
The best option is to use two webs, one for editing and one for viewing results. All users can edit in the edit web, but only you can publish on the view web. So, topics get edited in the "unofficial" EditWeb, complemented, talked about etc, and when you think a topic needs an update, you copy it on ViewWeb. This can be done in a number of ways, eg having a button updating a formfield as a flag for your attention to update or a workflow for senting you pages for approval etc.
When a page is approved for publishing, you use the publish plugin to update the page in the ViewWeb (you can run it eg as a daily cron job) with the appropriate sections of the approved for publishing revision of the page content, so you also have an "official update" history in the ViewWeb.
It's a bit cumbersome, but allows very fine control over the published content

Stefanos

        E r g o Q
   Process Management
  69, Mitropoleos str