Quantcast

Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Alan
Hi everybody, I am a new Foswiki user.

I'm setting up a single sign-on Foswiki 1.1.9 system using my existing
AD infrastructure.
I already have a web server with Kerberos authentication working well.

I have installed Foswiki with LdapNgPlugin, GluePlugin and NewUserPlugin.

When I visit any page, I can see a link to the user's topic, like
this: http://hostname/Main/TestUser but when I click it I get an empty
page (not even an empty table).

If I visit http://hostname/Main/TestUser?raw=debug, I see the following text:

%META:TOPICINFO{author="BaseUserMapping_222" comment="save topic"
date="1396400436" format="1.1" reprev="2" version="1"}%
%META:TOPICPARENT{name="WikiUsers"}%
%META:FORM{name="%25SYSTEMWEB%25.UserForm"}%
%META:PREFERENCE{name="VIEW_TEMPLATE" title="VIEW_TEMPLATE"
type="Local" value="System.LdapUserView"}%

My settings for the NewUserPlugin are:
$Foswiki::cfg{NewUserPlugin}{NewUserTemplate} =
'%SYSTEMWEB%.NewLdapUserTemplate';
$Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Enabled} = 1;
$Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Module} =
'Foswiki::Plugins::NewUserPlugin';

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with NewUserPlugin?
I found a small typo in the code (see the attachment), but my problem
is not caused by that.

I have also made some changes to the LdapContrib plugin to add GSSAPI support.
To use it one must install the GSSAPI Perl module, and have this in
LocalSite.cfg:
$Foswiki::cfg{Ldap}{SASLMechanism} = 'GSSAPI';

Another point is that LdapContrib requires DB_File::Lock >= 1.00, but
the latest version I see in CPAN is 0.05.

Please see my patches to NewUserPlugin and LdapContrib in the attachments.

Regards,

Alan

foswiki-LdapContrib-GSSAPI.patch (2K) Download Attachment
foswiki-NewUserPlugin.patch (688 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Oliver Krüger-2
Hi Alan,

disclaimer: I'n not using those Plugins, but here are my 2ct. ;-)

1) Are you familiar with the VIEW_TEMPLATE concept? (http://foswiki.org/System/SkinTemplates)
2) Does the referred view template System.LdapUserView exist and has the desired content?

Oliver

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Chris Hoefler
Hi Alan,

I'm assuming you are using the LdapUserMapping manager? The file you need to look at is /System/LdapUserViewTemplate. This is the view template for generating the user info page on the fly when you click the wikiname of the user. For that to work properly, you have to make sure the ldap attributes are being enumerated properly from your AD. I remember needing to change a few things in /bin/configure to make this work. I would test with a bind user to make sure LdapContrib is talking to the AD properly before moving to GSSAPI. If the search base and attribute mapping is not set up properly, you won't be able to enumerate users and groups from AD.

If you can post some more information about your configuration and what you have tested, that would be helpful. The settings on the LDAP page of /bin/configure in particular.

DB_File::Lock >= 1.00 seems to be an error on the page. I am using 0.05 and did not get a dependency error when installing.

Best,
Chris

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Hoefler, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Straight Lab
Texas A&M University
2128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2128

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Vicki Brown
3) does the other references template, System.NewLdapUserTemplate exist and have desired content?

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

On Apr 2, 2014, at 04:29 , Oliver Krüger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> disclaimer: I'n not using those Plugins, but here are my 2ct. ;-)
>
> 1) Are you familiar with the VIEW_TEMPLATE concept? (http://foswiki.org/System/SkinTemplates)
> 2) Does the referred view template System.LdapUserView exist and has the desired content?
>
> Oliver

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

prasad

Another way to set it up is using the mod_auth_sspi module of Apache.

[...]

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Alan
Thank you all for your help.

I just installed and configured Foswiki and the mentioned modules.  I
haven't made any customization, except for the GSSAPI LDAP binding,
but that part seems to work.

Therefore, I have the default templates:
System.LdapUserView as a file in $webroot/data/System/LdapUserViewTemplate.txt
System.NewLdapUserTemplate as a file in $webroot/System/NewLdapUserTemplate.txt.

To test, I inserted some lines to these files (using a text editor,
not via web), please see these screenshots:
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=009212e
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=53ea69a
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=6206647
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=49bc236

I am using the LdapUserMapping manager.  I know foswiki can fetch the
LDAP user and group information, because when I run:
cd <wiki-install-path>/bin && ./view refreshldap=on Main/WebHome >/dev/null
as described in http://foswiki.org/Extensions/LdapContrib, the debug
messages indicate it is working.

I can also go to http://server/Main/WikiGroups and see my LDAP groups there.
On the other hand, only the users that have logged in have a link to
their topic (which I think is normal).  Also, there is no
Main/WikiUsers topic (not sure if this one is normal).

Here is my LocalSite.cfg:
http://pastebin.com/i1CJLptJ

And my Apache's virtual-host config file:
http://pastebin.com/9EreFugP

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Alan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody, I am a new Foswiki user.
>
> I'm setting up a single sign-on Foswiki 1.1.9 system using my existing
> AD infrastructure.
> I already have a web server with Kerberos authentication working well.
>
> I have installed Foswiki with LdapNgPlugin, GluePlugin and NewUserPlugin.
>
> When I visit any page, I can see a link to the user's topic, like
> this: http://hostname/Main/TestUser but when I click it I get an empty
> page (not even an empty table).
>
> If I visit http://hostname/Main/TestUser?raw=debug, I see the following text:
>
> %META:TOPICINFO{author="BaseUserMapping_222" comment="save topic"
> date="1396400436" format="1.1" reprev="2" version="1"}%
> %META:TOPICPARENT{name="WikiUsers"}%
> %META:FORM{name="%25SYSTEMWEB%25.UserForm"}%
> %META:PREFERENCE{name="VIEW_TEMPLATE" title="VIEW_TEMPLATE"
> type="Local" value="System.LdapUserView"}%
>
> My settings for the NewUserPlugin are:
> $Foswiki::cfg{NewUserPlugin}{NewUserTemplate} =
> '%SYSTEMWEB%.NewLdapUserTemplate';
> $Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Enabled} = 1;
> $Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Module} =
> 'Foswiki::Plugins::NewUserPlugin';
>
> Can anybody tell me what is wrong with NewUserPlugin?
> I found a small typo in the code (see the attachment), but my problem
> is not caused by that.
>
> I have also made some changes to the LdapContrib plugin to add GSSAPI support.
> To use it one must install the GSSAPI Perl module, and have this in
> LocalSite.cfg:
> $Foswiki::cfg{Ldap}{SASLMechanism} = 'GSSAPI';
>
> Another point is that LdapContrib requires DB_File::Lock >= 1.00, but
> the latest version I see in CPAN is 0.05.
>
> Please see my patches to NewUserPlugin and LdapContrib in the attachments.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alan

Re: Setting up a single sign-on Foswiki with AD

Chris Hoefler
Hi Alan,

You have 1) a valid connection to LDAP and 2) schema settings properly entered because your logins are working. From your screenshots, wikiname construction also seems to be working. I'm pretty certain the problem lies with LdapUserViewTemplate. From the screenshot you can see that it is making use of the %LDAP% macro. This is how Foswiki retrieves data from ldap for display in topics. It is independent of the authentication mechanism. Have a look at the documentation,
http://foswiki.org/Extensions/LdapNgPlugin

Notice that the query for user info is of the form uid=%USERINFO%. What this is doing is getting a username field that can be used to construct a uid=username query on your ldap. For a basic ldap setup, this default would probably work fine. In your case, it doesn't work because you don't have uid attributes in your schema (this is AD). You will have to construct a proper query to make this work. I might suggest something like cn=%USERINFO{format="$wikiname"}% since you are using the cn attribute to construct wiki names in your case.

Since you are new to Foswiki, if you don't yet know how macros work, this page can quickly get you up to speed,
http://foswiki.org/System/Macros#Using_Macros

> Also, there is no
> Main/WikiUsers topic (not sure if this one is normal).

Yes, this is normal. Although you can make one if you want it.

A question for you. Are you getting primary groups for your users in your enumeration. I notice you are using objectGUID as a group attribute. It didn't occur to me that you could map groups in AD this way. Is it working well for you?

Best,
Chris

> [...]
>>
>> My settings for the NewUserPlugin are:
>> $Foswiki::cfg{NewUserPlugin}{NewUserTemplate} =
>> '%SYSTEMWEB%.NewLdapUserTemplate';
>> $Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Enabled} = 1;
>> $Foswiki::cfg{Plugins}{NewUserPlugin}{Module} =
>> 'Foswiki::Plugins::NewUserPlugin';
>>
>> Can anybody tell me what is wrong with NewUserPlugin?
>> I found a small typo in the code (see the attachment), but my problem
>> is not caused by that.
>>
>> I have also made some changes to the LdapContrib plugin to add GSSAPI support.
>> To use it one must install the GSSAPI Perl module, and have this in
>> LocalSite.cfg:
>> $Foswiki::cfg{Ldap}{SASLMechanism} = 'GSSAPI';
>>
>> Another point is that LdapContrib requires DB_File::Lock >= 1.00, but
>> the latest version I see in CPAN is 0.05.
>>
>> Please see my patches to NewUserPlugin and LdapContrib in the attachments.

http://foswiki.org/Community/WhatTheForkMeans

Ben Aveling

Looking at some foswiki.org pages, I think it's time for an update.

For example, http://foswiki.org/Community/WhatTheForkMeans

While I don't want to presume to say what the current status is, I'm sure the following is no longer what we want to be saying:

" At this stage we are running as fast as we can to bring up a new site, develop a new release package, and establish the governing rules and procedures for the Foswiki project to help ensure that there will be no more radical shifts in the development community. "

I think that's all happened, hasn't it?

"The release plan is still under development. The initial release will focus on rebranding the code base and special configuration topics to the new project name, while maintaining a backwards compatibility layer so that your plugins and applications will continue to work without modifications. We plan to introduce tools and scripts to make it easier to migrate to Foswiki and to upgrade in future."

A release plan is always a living document, it is never not going to be under development. I think the rebranding is done? Is anyone still working on migration scripts and tools?

Cheers, Ben

Re: http://foswiki.org/Community/WhatTheForkMeans

George Clark-2
Hi Ben,

Right you are!   Indeed there is quite a bit of stale information out on Foswiki.org.   It's one of the challenges with Wiki's, keeping content fresh and relevant.  Content gets created, ...  Lots of content gets created, and it slowly loses relevance.   Some of the information, especially some of the early "fork" related topics are probably due to some real scrubbing.    We are clearly well beyond all that early work you pointed out, things like those migration scripts are long since done.

What I can suggest is that the Community web is editable by registered users,  as is most of the Foswiki site.  Other than the System web,  it's all fair game.  (System web too, via github)    If everyone in the greater Foswiki Community could pick one topic and try to move out the stale information and freshen it up,  that would be a huge help.   We have similar issues in the the Support web.  There is a lot of redundant information that needs merging and scrubbing.  Everything is under revision control,  if someone disagrees, things can be easily recovered,  though hopefully we avoid edit wars.   I'd say ask,  but it's probably much easier to get forgiveness than permission.

At this point the active developers are pretty much flat-out, getting Foswiki 1.2 ready for testing and the beta process.   The few remaining blockers are closed or very ready to close.  We hope to have the translation engine up and running in a week or so.    We will need a lot of help!  We need an engaged community to:
  • Test the alpha and beta builds as they come out
  • Translate Foswiki to their native languages (once translate site is up)
  • Review the install process and documentation.  (There have been very significant changes)
  • Keep Foswiki.org relevant; update and scrub content.
  • Pick up an old extension, review and fix some tasks!

It's really a bottomless list.  Yes,  information is getting stale.   We welcome the help getting these things fixed!

Thanks,
George

Hi,