Solaris 10 installation cookbook, twiki.org doc license

Solaris 10 installation cookbook, twiki.org doc license

Josef Siemes
Hi all,

I've installed foswiki on Solaris10 (sparc) with the twiki SolarisInstallCookbook - http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/SolarisInstallCookbook

I've had a few problems with 'diff'  ( http://foswiki.org/Support/Question166 ) , which I was able to solve myself.

Now Crawford suggested to update the cookbook. I can do that, but: Which cookbook? There is none for Solaris in foswiki?
Just take the one from the twiki site and update it for foswiki? Or write a new one?

I'm still confused about the policy to actually copy over content from the twiki.org site to foswiki.org. Foswiki license is clear,
but is this really compatible with the twiki.org license?

Regards,

Josef

Re: Solaris 10 installation cookbook, twiki.org doc license

Koen Martens
Josef,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 03:46:36PM +0200, Josef Siemes wrote:
> I've installed foswiki on Solaris10 (sparc) with the twiki SolarisInstallCookbook - http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/SolarisInstallCookbook
>
> I've had a few problems with 'diff'  ( http://foswiki.org/Support/Question166 ) , which I was able to solve myself.
>
> Now Crawford suggested to update the cookbook. I can do that, but: Which cookbook? There is none for Solaris in foswiki?
> Just take the one from the twiki site and update it for foswiki? Or write a new one?
>
> I'm still confused about the policy to actually copy over content from the twiki.org site to foswiki.org. Foswiki license is clear,
> but is this really compatible with the twiki.org license?

Basically, old content written by any foswiki contributor is ok to copy (technically, you
should ask, but afaik there's a blanket 'go ahead' from all foswiki contributors). If there's
content from others in the text, you should probably delete that (this is how we copied
over most of the old content to the new site).

Gr,

Koen

> Regards,
>
> Josef

Re: Solaris 10 installation cookbook, twiki.org doc license

Kenneth Lavrsen
Let us not go into legal orbit here.

Take the text you need.

It was contributed by a person that - like I - assumed he contributed to
an open source project. His text is copied from things I made (I can see
sections I recognise) and many others made. And many of us raised
suggestions for changes incl myself which was included the wiki way.

And the text is out of date anyway and needs to be rewritten significantly.

So take the text and rewrite it so it matches Foswiki path names and
with all the changes that have happened both on Foswiki and Solaris.
What someone told you is to avoid taking newer things typically 100%
written by Peter (tm)oeny - just in case. And for sure do not copy
content from the twiki.net site. It is not created by contributions from
the open source project.

Kenneth

Josef Siemes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've installed foswiki on Solaris10 (sparc) with the twiki SolarisInstallCookbook - http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/SolarisInstallCookbook
>
> I've had a few problems with 'diff'  ( http://foswiki.org/Support/Question166 ) , which I was able to solve myself.
>
> Now Crawford suggested to update the cookbook. I can do that, but: Which cookbook? There is none for Solaris in foswiki?
> Just take the one from the twiki site and update it for foswiki? Or write a new one?
>
> I'm still confused about the policy to actually copy over content from the twiki.org site to foswiki.org. Foswiki license is clear,
> but is this really compatible with the twiki.org license?
>
> Regards,
>
> Josef

Re: Solaris 10 installation cookbook, twiki.org doc license

Josef Siemes

> So take the text and rewrite it so it matches Foswiki path names and
> with all the changes that have happened both on Foswiki and Solaris.

since the installation guide is structured different anyways I've rewritten it to match most of this. First alpha version:

http://foswiki.org/Sandbox/JosefSiemesSolarisInstall

Seems I also have to set up SolarisInstallCookbookPerlModules. And SSL config in solaris-apache2 is also 'different'. ;-)

Regards,

Josef