Twitter-Plugin?

Sven Arweiler
Hi all,

recently I had the idea to develop a Twitter plugin for Foswiki.

In case some of you don't know Twitter: It's a micro-blogging service
where you can leave short messages (up to 140 chars) describing what you
are doing right now, or just links to stuff on the net you stumbled upon.
It's mainly used by individuals but companies begin to use it, too. It's
located at http://www.twitter.com/

I'd like to include the following features into a TwitterPlugin for a
start:
- Integration of the most recent messages from a Twitter account via tag.
Like this, Twitter could be easily integrated any place in the wiki where
it is desired.
- Possibility to post Twitter messages for members of a certain group
(e.g. AdminGroup).

I'd be happy to hear more feature requests or comments from you
considering a TwitterPlugin for Foswiki.

Sven

--
Sven Arweiler
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/TECHNOLOGIES

--

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden

T.+49-611-20570-75 / F.+49-611-20570-70
[hidden email]
www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Crawford Currie
Hi Sven,

I posted on this topic a while ago, to see if there was any interest.
Nobody else replied, but personally I think it's a good idea. Glad to
see someone picking up on it!

Note that quite a few companies are starting to use it. For example, a
company described to me recently how their senior managers user twitter
from their blackberries to keep their PA's informed of delays, time
changes, actions etc.

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Martin Seibert
Hi Sven,

as Crawford writes this, I would like to add a Yammer-Integration for
the Wiki. I do not know, if it is feasible, but that would be helpful.
Even better would be a laconica-server-integration. See here: http://laconi.ca/

Jo and Mike have be able to give you more info on it.

Why don't you create a topic on foswiki.org for this discussion?

Viele Grüße

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70

Am 20.04.2009 um 17:05 schrieb Crawford Currie:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I posted on this topic a while ago, to see if there was any interest.
> Nobody else replied, but personally I think it's a good idea. Glad to
> see someone picking up on it!
>
> Note that quite a few companies are starting to use it. For example, a
> company described to me recently how their senior managers user
> twitter
> from their blackberries to keep their PA's informed of delays, time
> changes, actions etc.
>
> C.
>
> Sven Arweiler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> recently I had the idea to develop a Twitter plugin for Foswiki.
>>
>> In case some of you don't know Twitter: It's a micro-blogging service
>> where you can leave short messages (up to 140 chars) describing
>> what you
>> are doing right now, or just links to stuff on the net you stumbled
>> upon.
>> It's mainly used by individuals but companies begin to use it, too.
>> It's
>> located at http://www.twitter.com/
>>
>> I'd like to include the following features into a TwitterPlugin for a
>> start:
>> - Integration of the most recent messages from a Twitter account
>> via tag.
>> Like this, Twitter could be easily integrated any place in the wiki
>> where
>> it is desired.
>> - Possibility to post Twitter messages for members of a certain group
>> (e.g. AdminGroup).
>>
>> I'd be happy to hear more feature requests or comments from you
>> considering a TwitterPlugin for Foswiki.
>>
>> Sven
>>

> --
> Crawford Currie
> - C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
> - A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
> - landline: +44-1606-330-242
> - mobile: +44-7837-877-956
> - public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Raymond Lutz
Perhaps also important, and related, is a phone-browser skin which can
automatically be used when a microbrowser like one on a Blackberry is
viewing the site. Once people get a twitter alert, will they be able to
open the page on their phone and read it?

--
---------------------------------------
Raymond Lutz

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Will Norris
do you really want to send them an alert to go to the site to read a
(at most) 140 character message?  that seems like useless excise.  why
not simply send them the twit (or whatever) itself?

will

On 4/20/09, Raymond Lutz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Perhaps also important, and related, is a phone-browser skin which can
> automatically be used when a microbrowser like one on a Blackberry is
> viewing the site. Once people get a twitter alert, will they be able to
> open the page on their phone and read it?
>
> Sven Arweiler wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> recently I had the idea to develop a Twitter plugin for Foswiki.
>>
>> In case some of you don't know Twitter: It's a micro-blogging service
>> where you can leave short messages (up to 140 chars) describing what you
>> are doing right now, or just links to stuff on the net you stumbled upon.
>>
>> It's mainly used by individuals but companies begin to use it, too. It's
>> located at http://www.twitter.com/
>>
>> I'd like to include the following features into a TwitterPlugin for a
>> start:
>> - Integration of the most recent messages from a Twitter account via tag.
>>
>> Like this, Twitter could be easily integrated any place in the wiki where
>>
>> it is desired.
>> - Possibility to post Twitter messages for members of a certain group
>> (e.g. AdminGroup).
>>
>> I'd be happy to hear more feature requests or comments from you
>> considering a TwitterPlugin for Foswiki.
>>
>> Sven

> Raymond Lutz
> Cognisys, Inc.
> 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
> El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
> Voice 619-447-3246
> http//www.cognisys.com

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Drew Stevenson
I think idea was you get a tweet noting an update to your foswiki and
go look at the page in your phone. In which case a mobile-device
friendly skin would be a win.

-Drew

On Apr 20, 2009, at 2:04 PM, Will Norris wrote:

> do you really want to send them an alert to go to the site to read a
> (at most) 140 character message?  that seems like useless excise.  why
> not simply send them the twit (or whatever) itself?
>
> will
>

> On 4/20/09, Raymond Lutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps also important, and related, is a phone-browser skin which
>> can
>> automatically be used when a microbrowser like one on a Blackberry is
>> viewing the site. Once people get a twitter alert, will they be
>> able to
>> open the page on their phone and read it?
>>
>> Sven Arweiler wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> recently I had the idea to develop a Twitter plugin for Foswiki.
>>>
>>> In case some of you don't know Twitter: It's a micro-blogging
>>> service
>>> where you can leave short messages (up to 140 chars) describing
>>> what you
>>> are doing right now, or just links to stuff on the net you
>>> stumbled upon.
>>>
>>> It's mainly used by individuals but companies begin to use it,
>>> too. It's
>>> located at http://www.twitter.com/
>>>
>>> I'd like to include the following features into a TwitterPlugin
>>> for a
>>> start:
>>> - Integration of the most recent messages from a Twitter account
>>> via tag.
>>>
>>> Like this, Twitter could be easily integrated any place in the
>>> wiki where
>>>
>>> it is desired.
>>> - Possibility to post Twitter messages for members of a certain
>>> group
>>> (e.g. AdminGroup).
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to hear more feature requests or comments from you
>>> considering a TwitterPlugin for Foswiki.
>>>
>>> Sven
>>>

>> --
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Raymond Lutz
>> Cognisys, Inc.
>> 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
>> El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
>> Voice 619-447-3246
>> http//www.cognisys.com

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Raymond Lutz
Sure, you send the twit. But there is also the issue with micro-browser compatibility. More and more these days, people are not only getting SMS messageson their phones. They are also reading content on sites using them, and the design of the site must be thought about to keep from drowning in left-bar crap, for example. PatternSkin is terrible on a Blackberry. More than that, we need to have a means to switch between these skins based on what type of Browser is encountered.

Sure, twit has link in it that says "I'm updated, come and read me." But then if the twitter subscriber browses to the link using their phone, they need to be able to read it in a VERY SIMPLE html format with embedded images, but eliminating the navigation bars that make the user need to scroll down to the content, no embedded video, no javascript, etc. (probably). I tried to read a conventional pattern-skin site with a Blackberry and it is virtually impossible. These skins must be swapped in and out automatically, and this should be transparent to any desktop (fully capable) browser.

Is this already possible? If so, I want it enabled so anyone with Blackberry type browser can enjoy the site too, even if twitter is not supported. But if twitter is supported, it only makes the case even stronger, I would think.

--Raymond

Sven Arweiler wrote:

[...]

http://m.mit.edu for an example of this in action.

Not sure what it would take to do this on foswiki. Also worth noting
that the blackberry is by far the least capable of the mobile
browsers. RIM's ceo admits as much claiming it's for enterprise
compatibility reasons...

-Drew

On Apr 20, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Raymond Lutz wrote:

> Sure, you send the twit. But there is also the issue with micro-
> browser compatibility. More and more these days, people are not only
> getting SMS messageson their phones. They are also reading content
> on sites using them, and the design of the site must be thought
> about to keep from drowning in left-bar crap, for example.
> PatternSkin is terrible on a Blackberry. More than that, we need to
> have a means to switch between these skins based on what type of
> Browser is encountered.
>
> Sure, twit has link in it that says "I'm updated, come and read me."
> But then if the twitter subscriber browses to the link using their
> phone, they need to be able to read it in a VERY SIMPLE html format
> with embedded images, but eliminating the navigation bars that make
> the user need to scroll down to the content, no embedded video, no
> javascript, etc. (probably). I tried to read a conventional pattern-
> skin site with a Blackberry and it is virtually impossible. These
> skins must be swapped in and out automatically, and this should be
> transparent to any desktop (fully capable) browser.
>
> Is this already possible? If so, I want it enabled so anyone with
> Blackberry type browser can enjoy the site too, even if twitter is
> not supported. But if twitter is supported, it only makes the case
> even stronger, I would think.
>
> --Raymond
>
> Will Norris wrote:
>>
>> do you really want to send them an alert to go to the site to read a
>> (at most) 140 character message?  that seems like useless excise.
>> why
>> not simply send them the twit (or whatever) itself?
>>
>> will
>>

>> On 4/20/09, Raymond Lutz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps also important, and related, is a phone-browser skin which
>>> can
>>> automatically be used when a microbrowser like one on a Blackberry
>>> is
>>> viewing the site. Once people get a twitter alert, will they be
>>> able to
>>> open the page on their phone and read it?

>>> --
>>> ---------------------------------------
>>> Raymond Lutz
>>> Cognisys, Inc.
>>> 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
>>> El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
>>> Voice 619-447-3246
>>> http//www.cognisys.com

> Raymond Lutz
> Cognisys, Inc.
> 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
> El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
> Voice 619-447-3246
> http//www.cognisys.com

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Rob Manson
Hey,

we've been working on an iPhone and a POM (Plain Old Mobile) skin.

Here's some Open Source automatic device detection code too (see
examples in Perl, PHP and Javascript).

http://smartmobtoolkit.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/not-device-detection/

You can use it to set the skin param for example...

--
Rob Manson
m: +61 423 215 731

MOB - Mobile & Online Business
Solutions that get you MO' Business
http://MOBusiness.com.au

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 16:45 -0500, Drew Stevenson wrote:

> http://m.mit.edu for an example of this in action.
>
> Not sure what it would take to do this on foswiki. Also worth noting
> that the blackberry is by far the least capable of the mobile
> browsers. RIM's ceo admits as much claiming it's for enterprise
> compatibility reasons...
>
> -Drew
>
> On Apr 20, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Raymond Lutz wrote:
>
> > Sure, you send the twit. But there is also the issue with micro-
> > browser compatibility. More and more these days, people are not only
> > getting SMS messageson their phones. They are also reading content
> > on sites using them, and the design of the site must be thought
> > about to keep from drowning in left-bar crap, for example.
> > PatternSkin is terrible on a Blackberry. More than that, we need to
> > have a means to switch between these skins based on what type of
> > Browser is encountered.
> >
> > Sure, twit has link in it that says "I'm updated, come and read me."
> > But then if the twitter subscriber browses to the link using their
> > phone, they need to be able to read it in a VERY SIMPLE html format
> > with embedded images, but eliminating the navigation bars that make
> > the user need to scroll down to the content, no embedded video, no
> > javascript, etc. (probably). I tried to read a conventional pattern-
> > skin site with a Blackberry and it is virtually impossible. These
> > skins must be swapped in and out automatically, and this should be
> > transparent to any desktop (fully capable) browser.
> >
> > Is this already possible? If so, I want it enabled so anyone with
> > Blackberry type browser can enjoy the site too, even if twitter is
> > not supported. But if twitter is supported, it only makes the case
> > even stronger, I would think.
> >
> > --Raymond
> >
> > Will Norris wrote:
> >>
> >> do you really want to send them an alert to go to the site to read a
> >> (at most) 140 character message?  that seems like useless excise.
> >> why
> >> not simply send them the twit (or whatever) itself?
> >>
> >> will

> > --
> > ---------------------------------------
> > Raymond Lutz
> > Cognisys, Inc.
> > 1010 Old Chase Ave., Bldg B
> > El Cajon (San Diego Cty), CA 92020 USA
> > Voice 619-447-3246
> > http//www.cognisys.com

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Sven Dowideit-2
you mean like I created without need for a plugin on

http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz

ooo, apparently like, in October last year?

Sven

--
Consulting wiki Engineer
Sven Dowideit - http://fosiki.com

Sven Arweiler wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> recently I had the idea to develop a Twitter plugin for Foswiki.
>
> In case some of you don't know Twitter: It's a micro-blogging service
> where you can leave short messages (up to 140 chars) describing what you
> are doing right now, or just links to stuff on the net you stumbled upon.
> It's mainly used by individuals but companies begin to use it, too. It's
> located at http://www.twitter.com/
>
> I'd like to include the following features into a TwitterPlugin for a
> start:
> - Integration of the most recent messages from a Twitter account via tag.
> Like this, Twitter could be easily integrated any place in the wiki where
> it is desired.
> - Possibility to post Twitter messages for members of a certain group
> (e.g. AdminGroup).
>
> I'd be happy to hear more feature requests or comments from you
> considering a TwitterPlugin for Foswiki.
>
> Sven

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Crawford Currie
Sven Dowideit wrote:
> you mean like I created without need for a plugin on

Smartarse.
> http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz

Very nice, but it does beg the question of how the tweets find their way
into a result set......

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Sven Arweiler
On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:19:36 +0200, Sven Dowideit
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> you mean like I created without need for a plugin on
> http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz

Exactly. Just a little more user friendly and configurable, and maybe,
like Martin suggested, with laconi.ca-support and some more features added.

Sven

--
Sven Arweiler
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/TECHNOLOGIES

--

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

T.+49-611-20570-75 / F.+49-611-20570-70
[hidden email]
www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Martin Seibert
Hi Sven,

I just thought about it again. The headlines-plugin might be something
to look into or to ennhance:
http://foswiki.org/Extensions/HeadlinesPlugin

Maybe you want to take a glance.

Michael (Daum): Would you recommend to enhance the plugin or to write
a new one?

Best regards

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

Am 21.04.2009 um 09:29 schrieb Sven Arweiler:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:19:36 +0200, Sven Dowideit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> you mean like I created without need for a plugin on
>> http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz
>
> Exactly. Just a little more user friendly and configurable, and maybe,
> like Martin suggested, with laconi.ca-support and some more features
> added.
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Arweiler
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/TECHNOLOGIES
>
> --
>
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
> Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
> GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>
> T.+49-611-20570-75 / F.+49-611-20570-70
> [hidden email]
> www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Michael Daum-2
On Tuesday 21 April 2009, Martin Seibert wrote:
> Michael (Daum): Would you recommend to enhance the plugin or to write
> a new one?
Basically, I was going to fork HeadlinesPlugin and create a SyndicationPlugin
which would be able to filter and reassemble rss feeds from different sources.

        Michael.

--
-- Michael Daum Consulting
-- Your Wiki Software Partner

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Sven Arweiler
Hi Martin,

the HeadlinePlugin can surely be used to display tweets as Twitter
provides RSS feeds, but when it comes to more Twitter-specific features
(like avatar images or posting to Twitter) it wont suffice.

Sven

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:48:40 +0200, Martin Seibert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> I just thought about it again. The headlines-plugin might be something
> to look into or to ennhance:
> http://foswiki.org/Extensions/HeadlinesPlugin
>
> Maybe you want to take a glance.
>
> Michael (Daum): Would you recommend to enhance the plugin or to write
> a new one?
>
> Best regards
>
> Martin Seibert
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING
>
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
>    Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
>    GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>
>    T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
>    [hidden email]
>    www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net
>

> Am 21.04.2009 um 09:29 schrieb Sven Arweiler:
>
>> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 07:19:36 +0200, Sven Dowideit
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> you mean like I created without need for a plugin on
>>> http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz
>>
>> Exactly. Just a little more user friendly and configurable, and maybe,
>> like Martin suggested, with laconi.ca-support and some more features
>> added.
>>
>> Sven
>>

>> --
>> Sven Arweiler
>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/TECHNOLOGIES
>>
>> --
>>
>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
>> Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
>> GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>>
>> T.+49-611-20570-75 / F.+49-611-20570-70
>> [hidden email]
>> www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Sven Arweiler
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/TECHNOLOGIES

--

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

T.+49-611-20570-75 / F.+49-611-20570-70
[hidden email]
www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Isaac Lin

>you mean like I created without need for a plugin on
>
>http://foswiki.org/Community/TwitterBuzz
>
>ooo, apparently like, in October last year?
>
>Sven

Or like http://foswiki.org/Community/FossyTweets ?

Isaac

Re: Twitter-Plugin?

Sven Dowideit-2
yeah, I was rather surprised to see that one made a few weeks after I
already made one.

life's like that.