Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Martin Seibert
Hi all,

when I looked at a Foswiki-installation, that was updated from Foswiki
1.0.4 to Foswiki 1.0.5 yesterday I just found out, that this file (/
bin/view/System/WebTopicEditTemplate) was replaced with the standard
contents.

My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information is
overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do you
have a trick for that?

I created a task for that issue:
http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1542

Viele Grüße

Martin Seibert
//SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING

//SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502

   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
   [hidden email]
   www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Dienstleistungen:
http://foswiki.seibert-media.net/

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Kenneth Lavrsen
The strategy I had for upgrade packages is that they should not contain
files that you will normally configure or tailor

This one

- Has to go on my list so it does not get included in future
- We need a strategy for eliminating this so you can make your own with
a different name and fall back to a default from the distribution. Like
we have done with user forms, left bars etc

We have at least two files to have a solution for. UserRegistration, and
WebTopicEditTemplate.

I will make sure that next time I build an upgrade package for 1.0.6
this file is not included.
I may upload a new 1.0.5 upgrade where it is removed.

Let me know if there are more of these lurking.

Kenneth

Martin Seibert wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when I looked at a Foswiki-installation, that was updated from Foswiki
> 1.0.4 to Foswiki 1.0.5 yesterday I just found out, that this file (/
> bin/view/System/WebTopicEditTemplate) was replaced with the standard
> contents.
>
> My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
> something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information is
> overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do you
> have a trick for that?
>
> I created a task for that issue:
> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1542
>
> Viele Grüße
>
> Martin Seibert
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING
>
> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
>    Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
>    GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>
>    T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
>    [hidden email]
>    www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Olivier 'Babar' Raginel
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:01:53PM +0200, Martin Seibert wrote:
> My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
> something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information is
> overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do you
> have a trick for that?

This is exactly why Colas wrote
http://foswiki.org/Support/HowDoIUpgradeSafelyACustomizedFoswikiInstallation

We should make upgrade "applications", not packages. That is, some kind
of "diff" that says what has changed between your current release (CUR)
and the one you're trying to install (NEW), and your current *deployed*
release (DEP) and your current release (CUR), and merge things over.

Merge is the tricky part, of course, but I think we could come up with a
pretty easy and robust upgrader without too much hassle. Like building
upon Colas's work, migrate it to perl, add some hashing mechanism so you
don't have to have both CUR and DEP installed locally to do the diff,
and wrap this all inside configure.

Or you could try to use svn based deployments:
http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2008/08/31/webapp-deployment/

If we migrate to git, that might be our preferred way :)

--
Babar

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Martin Cleaver
While mixing site-specific & foswiki distribution content in the Main
web may be unavoidable, why don't we invent a mechanism to make the
System web immuntable?

E.g. Have all site settings set from Main, not from System

M.
Sent from my iPhone

On 29-Apr-09, at 8:14 AM, Kenneth Lavrsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The strategy I had for upgrade packages is that they should not
> contain
> files that you will normally configure or tailor
>
> This one
>
> - Has to go on my list so it does not get included in future
> - We need a strategy for eliminating this so you can make your own
> with
> a different name and fall back to a default from the distribution.
> Like
> we have done with user forms, left bars etc
>
> We have at least two files to have a solution for. UserRegistration,
> and
> WebTopicEditTemplate.
>
> I will make sure that next time I build an upgrade package for 1.0.6
> this file is not included.
> I may upload a new 1.0.5 upgrade where it is removed.
>
> Let me know if there are more of these lurking.
>
> Kenneth
>
> Martin Seibert wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> when I looked at a Foswiki-installation, that was updated from
>> Foswiki
>> 1.0.4 to Foswiki 1.0.5 yesterday I just found out, that this file (/
>> bin/view/System/WebTopicEditTemplate) was replaced with the standard
>> contents.
>>
>> My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
>> something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information
>> is
>> overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do
>> you
>> have a trick for that?
>>
>> I created a task for that issue:
>> http://foswiki.org/Tasks/Item1542
>>
>> Viele Grüße
>>
>> Martin Seibert
>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA/CONSULTING
>>
>> //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH / Rheingau Palais
>>   Söhnleinstraße 8 / 65201 Wiesbaden
>>   GF: J.Seibert und M.Seibert / AG Wiesbaden: HRB11502
>>
>>   T.+49-611-20570-20 / F.+49-611-20570-70
>>   [hidden email]
>>   www.seibert-media.net / http://blog.seibert-media.net
>>

>> ---
>> ---
>> ---
>>

> ---
> ---
> ---

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Martin Cleaver
The TWikiReleaseTrackerPlugin had that functionality.

It maintained md5's of every file in the distro and install and helped
you pull forward your changes to the next release.

Not maintained.

M.

Sent from my iPhone

On 29-Apr-09, at 8:32 AM, Olivier 'Babar' Raginel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:01:53PM +0200, Martin Seibert wrote:
>> My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
>> something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information
>> is
>> overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do
>> you
>> have a trick for that?
>
> This is exactly why Colas wrote
> http://foswiki.org/Support/HowDoIUpgradeSafelyACustomizedFoswikiInstallation
>
> We should make upgrade "applications", not packages. That is, some
> kind
> of "diff" that says what has changed between your current release
> (CUR)
> and the one you're trying to install (NEW), and your current
> *deployed*
> release (DEP) and your current release (CUR), and merge things over.
>
> Merge is the tricky part, of course, but I think we could come up
> with a
> pretty easy and robust upgrader without too much hassle. Like building
> upon Colas's work, migrate it to perl, add some hashing mechanism so
> you
> don't have to have both CUR and DEP installed locally to do the diff,
> and wrap this all inside configure.
>
> Or you could try to use svn based deployments:
> http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2008/08/31/webapp-deployment/
>
> If we migrate to git, that might be our preferred way :)
>
> --
> Babar
>
> ---
> ---
> ---

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Guenther Fischer
Such an upgrade should also read the lib/LocalSite.cfg to see the the
names of SYSTEMWEB an MAINWEB and map them if needed.
It's a pain for me because I have a Userweb System since many years.
Not only the Upgrade also the install- and upgrade-scripts are not usable.

It was not a good idea to rename TWiki web to such a usual name as
System for Foswiki with the TWiki history ...

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards
Günther Fischer

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Olivier 'Babar' Raginel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:01:53PM +0200, Martin Seibert wrote:
>> My question is now: Is that a normal problem of updates? Did we do
>> something wrong? How do you prevent, that configuration information is
>> overwritten after an update? Is there a thorough documentation? Do you
>> have a trick for that?
>
> This is exactly why Colas wrote
> http://foswiki.org/Support/HowDoIUpgradeSafelyACustomizedFoswikiInstallation
>
> We should make upgrade "applications", not packages. That is, some kind
> of "diff" that says what has changed between your current release (CUR)
> and the one you're trying to install (NEW), and your current *deployed*
> release (DEP) and your current release (CUR), and merge things over.
>
> Merge is the tricky part, of course, but I think we could come up with a
> pretty easy and robust upgrader without too much hassle. Like building
> upon Colas's work, migrate it to perl, add some hashing mechanism so you
> don't have to have both CUR and DEP installed locally to do the diff,
> and wrap this all inside configure.
>
> Or you could try to use svn based deployments:
> http://gondwanaland.com/mlog/2008/08/31/webapp-deployment/
>
> If we migrate to git, that might be our preferred way :)
>
> --
> Babar

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Colas Nahaboo
Ok, I guess you needed:
http://foswiki.org/Support/SettingFileAccessRightsLinuxUnix

I will add a link to it from the upgrade section of the download page"
http://foswiki.org/Download/WebHome#Upgrading_from_an_earlier_versio

Martin, where did you look for information on how to upgrade (i.e.
where do I need to also put this information?)

Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Colas Nahaboo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, I guess you needed:
> http://foswiki.org/Support/SettingFileAccessRightsLinuxUnix

Sorry, wrong link :-(
http://foswiki.org/Support/HowDoIUpgradeSafelyACustomizedFoswikiInstallation

--
Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Re: Updating a Foswiki-implementation correctly: Is there a thorough documentation?

Guenther Fischer
Colas,
to clarify:
   * I have used TWiki for a long time and one of my userwebs was/is
"System" - no problem with TWiki.
   * I changed to Foswiki in 01/2009 and found a System Web in Foswiki
      * so I renamed the Foswiki web System to FWsystem - not a big
thing you can configure this
      * but if you will install or update a Plugin, the scripts will
fail because they use hardcoded System web
      * Foswiki upgrades are a litle bit more complicated because you
must handle the System web renaming by hand
        perhaps your script foswiki-upgrade-check is a good place to
add some code for handling renaming of
        %SYSTEMWEB% and %MAINWEB%
      * BTW: the installing and upgrading of Plugins is a greater pain

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Colas Nahaboo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Colas Nahaboo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ok, I guess you needed:
>> http://foswiki.org/Support/SettingFileAccessRightsLinuxUnix
>
> Sorry, wrong link :-(
> http://foswiki.org/Support/HowDoIUpgradeSafelyACustomizedFoswikiInstallation
>
> --
> Colas Nahaboo - http://colas.nahaboo.net

Foswiki Release 1.0.5 & TinyMCE?

Aaron Randall
Hi All,

I've had a look through the release notes but can't see any information regarding whether the latest version of TinyMCE has been released with this build.  Does that mean that it isn't in this release?

Many thanks,

Aaron

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.

While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Re: Foswiki Release 1.0.5 & TinyMCE?

Crawford Currie
Aaron Randall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had a look through the release notes but can't see any information regarding whether the latest version of TinyMCE has been released with this build.  Does that mean that it isn't in this release?

That's correct. The release team felt that it's quite a significant
change, and there hadn't been enough testing to justify including it in
a patch release.

It's checked in to subversion, and somewhat tested against 1.0.5, so I
will upload updated TinyMCEPlugin and WysiwygPlugin to foswiki.org so
you can try it.

Caveat emptor.

Regards,

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk

Re: Foswiki Release 1.0.5 & TinyMCE?

Aaron Randall
Thanks Crawford.

As you might remember from a previous email exchange, I had checked out and tested the latest version of TinyMCE with Foswiki and things were looking good (once I had played around with the configuration and copy & paste settings).

I look forward to it making the stable release.

Regards,

Aaron

> I've had a look through the release notes but can't see any information regarding whether the latest version of TinyMCE has been released with this build.  Does that mean that it isn't in this release?

That's correct. The release team felt that it's quite a significant
change, and there hadn't been enough testing to justify including it in
a patch release.

It's checked in to subversion, and somewhat tested against 1.0.5, so I
will upload updated TinyMCEPlugin and WysiwygPlugin to foswiki.org so
you can try it.

Caveat emptor.

Regards,

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the
sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Every effort has been made to ensure that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses.

While the company has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, neither company, nor the sender can accept liability for any damage
which you sustain as a result of viruses. It is recommended that you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments.

Registered in England. No. 3934288 - Azzurri House,
Walsall Business Park, Walsall Road, Aldridge,WS9 0RB.

Re: Foswiki Release 1.0.5 & TinyMCE?

Martin Seibert
Hi Crawford, hi Randall,

I can copy that. I filed a lot of Bugs together with Ralf Krüger and
we always cross-checked with trunk.foswiki.org. My impression was:
- In a lot of cases, problems were solved with the new TinyMCE-version.
- I cannot remember a single instance in which the new editor created
additional errors.

I would hope, that it will work properly.

Best regards

Martin Seibert wrote:
- In a lot of cases, problems were solved with the new TinyMCE-version.
- I cannot remember a single instance in which the new editor created additional errors.

I would hope, that it will work properly.
There are a lot of new issues in the tasks database and frankly, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed. Anything anyone can do to:
  • close out reports that have been fixed but not closed in the DB
  • help debug/fix any of these issues
  • or even just improve the error reports to I don't spend ages trying to reproduce problems
would be very welcome.

http://foswiki.org/Tasks/TinyMCEPlugin

C.

--
Crawford Currie
- C-Dot Consultants http://c-dot.co.uk
- A WikiRing Partner http://wikiring.com
- landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956
- public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Foswiki Release 1.0.5 & TinyMCE?

Martin Seibert
Hi Crawford,

unfortunately I am not a programmer. And the only thing, that I can do
is to add up to the pile by reporting new bugs. But I agree, that this
is one of the most important fields we need to work on.

I cool Rich-Text-Editor simply sells the wiki to marketing and
management people. And if I may borrow from Koen, I would add:
"Period." :-)