'Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?

'Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?

jignesh desai
Hi,

Newbabe on foswiki.

I just install latest version of foswiki and managed to remove erorrs mentioned in 'configure' page.

After login, when i land on home page, I see that 'Users' link on the left menu is not 'active'.

I want to create new users,  So my question is how to make the link active or what could be the issue that has disabled the link.    (Note: UserGroup link is active )

Regards

Re: 'Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?

The Users link will become active automatically once the first user is registered.

As a new user you probably want to be using TopicUserMapping, TemplateLogin and HTPaswwd passwords.   Those are the simplest to start with.   If you took all the defaults, these should already be set,  but to be sure:

Security and Authentication Section
 - Login tab,    {LoginManager} - choose Foswiki::LoginManager::TemplateLogin
 - and {UserMappingManager} choose Foswiki::Users::TopicUserMapping
 - Passwords Tab,  {PassworManager} choose Foswiki::Users::HtPasswdUser

And then before you try to register a user, make sure that Foswiki is able to send email.  There is an Email Test tab  in the Mail Section.

Once you have that working,  then proceed to the System.UserRegistration page and try to register a user.   When that works, the Users link will become active.

George

On 12/03/2013 08:31 AM, jignesh desai wrote:
Hi,

Newbabe on foswiki.

I just install latest version of foswiki and managed to remove erorrs mentioned in 'configure' page.

After login, when i land on home page, I see that 'Users' link on the left menu is not 'active'.

I want to create new users,  So my question is how to make the link active or what could be the issue that has disabled the link.    (Note: UserGroup link is active )

Regards

Re: About plugins.... ['Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?]

jignesh desai

Thanks George,  That did worked.

Now I'd like to figure out how to get MailerContrib to update as soon as someone makes an update.  Can you guide on this ?

Regards

Re: About plugins.... ['Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?]

Oliver Krüger-2

Now I'd like to figure out how to get MailerContrib to update as soon as someone makes an update.  Can you guide on this ?

MailerContrib usually fires via a cronjob you install. See http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailerContrib#Setting_up_a_cron_job_40s_41

You can either minimize the time between each start (i.e. every minute) which may put a high load on the server, or make use of external tools like iWatch (which is part of major linux distributions, http://iwatch.sourceforge.net/index.html).

The latter watches for changes in the file system and starts tasks. You may want to watch out for changes in .txt files in the /data directory.

There is a third option which may be out of scope for you: Write a plugin for Foswiki, which hooks onto the afterSave handler and do the mailing magic on your own.

Kind regards,
Oliver

Re: About plugins.... ['Users' link is disabled. How to create new user. ?]

Crawford Currie
On 04/12/13 15:25, Oliver Krüger wrote:

Now I'd like to figure out how to get MailerContrib to update as soon as someone makes an update.  Can you guide on this ?
There is a third option which may be out of scope for you: Write a plugin for Foswiki, which hooks onto the afterSave handler and do the mailing magic on your own.
I considered doing this in the MailerContrib, but never bothered because tools like iWatch provide a simple solution.

However if you think it would answer your prayers, please go ahead - you can easily fork MailerContrib on git.

Regards,

C.

--
Crawford Currie - Owner, C-Dot Consultants - landline: +44-1606-330-242 - mobile: +44-7837-877-956 - skype: cdot-uk - public key http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

On 12/04/2013 10:25 AM, Oliver Krüger wrote:

Now I'd like to figure out how to get MailerContrib to update as soon as someone makes an update.  Can you guide on this ?

MailerContrib usually fires via a cronjob you install. See http://foswiki.org/Extensions/MailerContrib#Setting_up_a_cron_job_40s_41

You can either minimize the time between each start (i.e. every minute) which may put a high load on the server, or make use of external tools like iWatch (which is part of major linux distributions, http://iwatch.sourceforge.net/index.html).

The latter watches for changes in the file system and starts tasks. You may want to watch out for changes in .txt files in the /data directory.

There is a third option which may be out of scope for you: Write a plugin for Foswiki, which hooks onto the afterSave handler and do the mailing magic on your own.

There are already a couple of plugins that you might find useful.

http://foswiki.org/Extensions/NotificationPlugin

Unfortunately it appears as thought there are some issues with it.  See open tasks at http://foswiki.org/Tasks/NotificationPlugin

And another:

http://foswiki.org/Extensions/Testing/ImmediateNotifyPlugin

It has never been released to extensions, as it's a bit of a work in process.  I was working on it for a while, but then got sidetracked, so it has a number of unfinished features.   Last I knew however it was working.   (Reading  [[Tasks/Item9551]] though there is a report a syntax error in the code).   The version in Extensions/Testing supports SMTP and Jabber  (XMPP) for notifications.    The source in SVN has additional changes to add support for Twitter and IRC notifications,  but that's not working yet.

As Oliver says though, running the cron job more frequently is probably the easiest alternative.   The ImmediateNotifyPlugin is good when you are running Foswiki on a host where you don't have access to cron.   Using it to send an email directly during the topic save can add considerable time to the save operation.

George Clark

Kind regards,
Oliver

iWatch command line error and Foswiki.

jignesh desai
Hi,

I have a VirtualMachine and foswiki locally installed on it, I have configured "Email Server" section in foswiki configuration and Even did a Test mail and that part works successfully.

I then installed and tried to execute iwatch with following comment line....

iwatch -r -c "(w;ps -ef)|mail -s '%f was changed' [hidden email]  /var/www/foswiki

I get below error, and i believe i need to do something more.... Can someone Please Guide ...

[ 9/Dec/2013 18:28:57] IN_CLOSE_WRITE /var/www/foswiki/.readme.txt.swp
[ 9/Dec/2013 18:28:57] * Command: (w;ps -ef)|mail -s '/var/www/foswiki/.readme.txt.swp was changed' [hidden email]
sh: mail: not found

Regards

Is there is a way to run FosWiki on top of OpenBSD??

jignesh desai

Hi everyone,

Is there is a way to run FosWiki on top of OpenBSD??

Regards

Re: iWatch command line error and Foswiki.

Oliver Krüger-2
iwatch -r -c "(w;ps -ef)|mail -s '%f was changed' [hidden email]  /var/www/foswiki

I get below error, and i believe i need to do something more.... Can someone Please Guide ...

[ 9/Dec/2013 18:28:57] IN_CLOSE_WRITE /var/www/foswiki/.readme.txt.swp
[ 9/Dec/2013 18:28:57] * Command: (w;ps -ef)|mail -s '/var/www/foswiki/.readme.txt.swp was changed' [hidden email]
sh: mail: not found

As the error message stated, there is no "mail" command on your system or iWatch cannot find it. Try

which mail

as a normal user on the command line and use the full path instead of just "mail" in your iWatch configuration above:
ie. …(w;ps -ef)|/usr/bin/mail -s '/var…..

If Foswiki can sucessfully send emails (ie. via SMTP and an external mailserver), this does not mean that you have a fully functional mail transport agent configured on your box. When you want to use "mail" on the command line, you have exim, postfix of some other sort of MTA to be installed and configured on your system.

Footnote: You may want to exclude certain temporary files from your iWatch list, otherwise this can become very noisy. ;-)

Regards,
Oliver

Re: Is there is a way to run FosWiki on top of OpenBSD??

Oliver Krüger-2
Is there is a way to run FosWiki on top of OpenBSD??

Why not? ;-)

As long there is a recent Perl environment and a webserver, there is hope. Some non default extensions might have special dependencies to some linux tools, but in general the base system and most plugins should work.

Regards,
Oliver

PS: Im not a BSD user myself and never tried.