VMware OVF?

Dan Dill
Hello,

I downloaded the foswiki vmware image today to play with and figured it'd be worth throwing out it would be nice if it was packaged as an OVF.  There's different versions of vmware virtual machines with different compatibilities and having an OVF might make it easier for those running the various vmware flavors (server, ESX, workstation, player, etc)

Plus importing an OVF is a bit nicer in that it asks you about connecting your nic and has branding stuff in there to show what version the appliance is.

It looks like my vmware workstation allows me to export as an OVF so I could help/provide the OVF if desired...

-Dan

Re: VMware OVF?

Olivier 'Babar' Raginel
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 07:26:53PM -0700, Dan Dill wrote:
> I downloaded the foswiki vmware image today to play with and figured
> it'd be worth throwing out it would be nice if it was packaged as an
> OVF.

I think this is mostly due to ovf being kind of brand new, whereas vmdk
are old-school.
The main advantage of using vmdk was to be able to import these into
VirtualBox, so you don't have to use vmware to run it. Starting with
2.2.4, vbox also supports OVF, so it seems like a viable route to go.

But I let the people who make the VMs choose which is best :)

--
Babar

Re: VMware OVF?

Eugen Mayer
Hello Dan,

well as Oliver stated, the intention to use vmdk was, that VMware and
VirtualBox could be used with the same VM. Now as both implemented OVF,
i think it would be handy to use it. I will have a look at Fusion,
because this should be also supported and then with then next release, i
will choose OVF.

Thanks for the hint

best regards

Eugen