WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Vovk, Olga (NIH/CIT) [C]
Dear all,
I wonder if FOSWIKI supports WAI-ARIA?
Or if   there is any ways to use it in FOSWIKI?
I am asking that question because I need to make some of the forms  and figures on my web site collapsible.
So if there is some other way besides using WAI-ARIA, please tell me ;-))
Thank you!

Olga Vovk
<:3)))~~~~
SRA contractor
NIH/CIT/DCB/BIRSS
NIH campus, Building 12A, room # 2015
Phone: 301-443-3693

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Oliver Krüger-2
Hi Olga,

as far as I know there is no wai-aria specific markup code in the standard templates of Foswiki. But since Foswiki is highly customizable, you can create your own skin or add a wai-aria part. Unfortunately there is no out of the shelf solution.

If you want to hack your own skin, you may want to start here: http://foswiki.org/System/Skins

Kind regards,
Oliver

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Randy Kramer
It's been a while, but I have a few vague recollections of some ways to make
content collapsible in TWiki (and, presumably, Foswiki).

IIRC, somebody wrote some sort of extension called something like Twistee, or
Twister, or something like that.

I think there were a few other ways to get it done (that I tried), but I'm
going to have to "recollect" for a while and then see if I can find some of
my old notes...

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 3:51:57 pm Oliver Krüger wrote:
> as far as I know there is no wai-aria specific markup code in the standard
> templates of Foswiki. But since Foswiki is highly customizable, you can
> create your own skin or add a wai-aria part. Unfortunately there is no out
> of the shelf solution.
>
> If you want to hack your own skin, you may want to start here:
> http://foswiki.org/System/Skins

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Oliver Krüger-2
Hi Randy,

of course, you can use the TWISTY macro to create collapsible content.

The problem with such nifty UI items is, that it is not recognized by special hardware like braille devices for blind people. WAI-ARIA created a standard to make nifty UI elements work with such devices (afaik by adding additional markup to the html).

Oliver

> It's been a while, but I have a few vague recollections of some ways to make
> content collapsible in TWiki (and, presumably, Foswiki).
>
> IIRC, somebody wrote some sort of extension called something like Twistee, or
> Twister, or something like that.
>
> I think there were a few other ways to get it done (that I tried), but I'm
> going to have to "recollect" for a while and then see if I can find some of
> my old notes...
>
> Randy Kramer

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Randy Kramer
Oliver,

Thanks for explaining that.  Now I want to find a WAI-ARIA plugin for
Foswiki. ;-)

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 7:23:08 pm Oliver Krüger wrote:
> of course, you can use the TWISTY macro to create collapsible content.
>
> The problem with such nifty UI items is, that it is not recognized by
> special hardware like braille devices for blind people. WAI-ARIA created a
> standard to make nifty UI elements work with such devices (afaik by adding
> additional markup to the html).

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Randy Kramer
Oliver and Olga,

I've done a little recollecting, and the experiments I did in addition to
trying TWISTY involved using javascript.  In general, I used the Javascript
onclick command to switch between the inline and none display style.  I
believe this is basically the same thing the TWISTY macro does.

This page has some of my notes / experiments:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/FoldingTest

Of course, this has the same limitations that you (Oliver) mentioned. sp it
probably is not of any use to you (Olga).

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 7:23:08 pm Oliver Krüger wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> of course, you can use the TWISTY macro to create collapsible content.
>
> The problem with such nifty UI items is, that it is not recognized by
> special hardware like braille devices for blind people. WAI-ARIA created a
> standard to make nifty UI elements work with such devices (afaik by adding
> additional markup to the html).
>
> Oliver
>
> > It's been a while, but I have a few vague recollections of some ways to
> > make content collapsible in TWiki (and, presumably, Foswiki).
> >
> > IIRC, somebody wrote some sort of extension called something like
> > Twistee, or Twister, or something like that.
> >
> > I think there were a few other ways to get it done (that I tried), but
> > I'm going to have to "recollect" for a while and then see if I can find
> > some of my old notes...
> >
> > Randy Kramer

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Vovk, Olga (NIH/CIT) [C]
Hi Randy,
Thank you very much.
That is very helpful.
I have only one question is this functionality recognized by special hardware for people with disabilities (e.g. the braille devices for blind people)?
My FOSWIKI project is dome for NIH (http://www.nih.gov/), and here we are very picky  about Section 509 and all related requirements.

Thank you!

Olga Vovk
<:3)))~~~~
SRA contractor
NIH/CIT/DCB/BIRSS
NIH campus, Building 12A, room # 2015
I've done a little recollecting, and the experiments I did in addition to trying TWISTY involved using javascript.  In general, I used the Javascript onclick command to switch between the inline and none display style.  I believe this is basically the same thing the TWISTY macro does.

This page has some of my notes / experiments:
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn/FoldingTest

Of course, this has the same limitations that you (Oliver) mentioned. sp it probably is not of any use to you (Olga).

Randy Kramer

On Wednesday 29 January 2014 7:23:08 pm Oliver Krüger wrote:

> Hi Randy,
>
> of course, you can use the TWISTY macro to create collapsible content.
>
> The problem with such nifty UI items is, that it is not recognized by
> special hardware like braille devices for blind people. WAI-ARIA
> created a standard to make nifty UI elements work with such devices
> (afaik by adding additional markup to the html).
>
> Oliver
>
> > It's been a while, but I have a few vague recollections of some ways
> > to make content collapsible in TWiki (and, presumably, Foswiki).
> >
> > IIRC, somebody wrote some sort of extension called something like
> > Twistee, or Twister, or something like that.
> >
> > I think there were a few other ways to get it done (that I tried),
> > but I'm going to have to "recollect" for a while and then see if I
> > can find some of my old notes...
> >
> > Randy Kramer

WatchGuard Dimension instantly turns raw network data into actionable security intelligence. It gives you real-time visual feedback on key security issues and trends.  Skip the complicated setup - simply import a virtual appliance and go from zero to informed in seconds.

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Randy Kramer
Olga,

You're welcome!

I really have no knowledge of whether that Javascript functionality is
recognized by things like braille devices.

My speculation is that it would be, but that is pure speculation.  Oliver's
statement that TWISTY is not recognized by braille devices, and my (possibly
incorrect) recollection that TWISTY uses those Javascript functions is a hint
in the other direction.

If you do find out for sure, please let us know.

Good luck!

Randy Kramer

On Friday 31 January 2014 9:34:55 am Vovk, Olga (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:

> Thank you very much.
> That is very helpful.
> I have only one question is this functionality recognized by special
> hardware for people with disabilities (e.g. the braille devices for blind
> people)? My FOSWIKI project is dome for NIH (http://www.nih.gov/), and here
> we are very picky  about Section 509 and all related requirements.

It appears as though jquery doesn't do much in the way of accessibility
support, however there are
versions of jquery plugins that have improved accessibility.  It would
be an interesting
project to layer some of this on Foswiki.

Here are JQuery components modified for accessibility:
https://github.com/hanshillen/jqtest,
along with a demo site:  http://hanshillen.github.io/jqtest/

I found that though this question on stackoverflow that referenced them:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8772821/jquery-and-wai-aria

I also found http://plugins.jquery.com/aria/  - which is a jquery plugin
that overlays aria attributes onto jquery,
but I have no idea how that would be used.

Regarding TwistyPlugin, that seems to be a Foswiki / TWiki original, and
uses the BehaviorContrib js and css components.
It was converted to a JQuery component back it 2010,   I have no idea
what could be done there.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful here,  jquery and javascript are a bit
outside of what I normally
work on.

George

On 01/31/2014 09:34 AM, Vovk, Olga (NIH/CIT) [C] wrote:

> Hi Randy,
> Thank you very much.
> That is very helpful.
> I have only one question is this functionality recognized by special hardware for people with disabilities (e.g. the braille devices for blind people)?
> My FOSWIKI project is dome for NIH (http://www.nih.gov/), and here we are very picky  about Section 509 and all related requirements.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Olga Vovk
> SRA contractor
> NIH/CIT/DCB/BIRSS
> NIH campus, Building 12A, room # 2015

Re: WAI-ARIA for FOSWIKI

Vovk, Olga (NIH/CIT) [C]
Hi George,
Thank you very much for the links and information!

I will research this topic and will let you know what I found.