Quantcast

Win32::Console

Vicki Brown
Hi -

A possible client wants to install Foswiki. In describing required CPAN modules, the Foswiki docs say:

     Win32:Console May be required for international characters on Windows

I have never even noticed this statement, nor have I ever installed this module, but I do not use Windows.

It's not at all clear from this phrase whether Win32:Console
    -- may (or may not) be required for viewing international characters when using a browser on Windows
    -- may (or may not) be required for inserting international characters when editing with Windows
    -- may (or may not) be required when installing / hosting on Windows

    -- more than one of the above

My _suspicion_ is that the Win32::Console (possible) requirement only applies if Foswiki is hosted on a Windows server, not if the server in question is running Linux.

Does anyone _know_?

-- Vicki
  cfcl.com/vlb
  twitter.com/vlb

Re: Win32::Console

Chris Hoefler
No idea, but I can report that we have several Windows users (server is linux) that have no problems with international characters without this module. I suspect it is a workaround in core to deal with improper Perl locale support on some Windows servers.

> On Apr 11, 2014, at 9:34 PM, Vicki Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> A possible client wants to install Foswiki. In describing required CPAN modules, the Foswiki docs say:
>
>     Win32:Console May be required for international characters on Windows
>
> I have never even noticed this statement, nor have I ever installed this module, but I do not use Windows.
>
> It's not at all clear from this phrase whether Win32:Console
>    -- may (or may not) be required for viewing international characters when using a browser on Windows
>    -- may (or may not) be required for inserting international characters when editing with Windows
>    -- may (or may not) be required when installing / hosting on Windows
>
>    -- more than one of the above
>
> My _suspicion_ is that the Win32::Console (possible) requirement only applies if Foswiki is hosted on a Windows server, not if the server in question is running Linux.
>
> Does anyone _know_?
>
> -- Vicki
>  cfcl.com/vlb
>  twitter.com/vlb

Re: Win32::Console

Crawford Currie
Hi Vicki,

I did a bit of (superficial) research. The requirements was added
because that module was required for generating new language files. I
believe the dependency is redundant now.

C.

On 12/04/14 03:34, Vicki Brown wrote:

> Hi -
>
> A possible client wants to install Foswiki. In describing required CPAN modules, the Foswiki docs say:
>
>      Win32:Console May be required for international characters on Windows
>
> I have never even noticed this statement, nor have I ever installed this module, but I do not use Windows.
>
> It's not at all clear from this phrase whether Win32:Console
>     -- may (or may not) be required for viewing international characters when using a browser on Windows
>     -- may (or may not) be required for inserting international characters when editing with Windows
>     -- may (or may not) be required when installing / hosting on Windows
>
>     -- more than one of the above
>
> My _suspicion_ is that the Win32::Console (possible) requirement only applies if Foswiki is hosted on a Windows server, not if the server in question is running Linux.
>
> Does anyone _know_?
>
> -- Vicki
>   cfcl.com/vlb
>   twitter.com/vlb

Crawford Currie - Owner, C-Dot Consultants - landline: +44-1606-330-242
- mobile: +44-7837-877-956 - skype: cdot-uk - public key
http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=Crawford+Currie

Re: Win32::Console

Vicki Brown
Thank you!