cannot register user- says already registered?

cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson
Hello all,

I've been trying to upgrade an existing TWiki setup to a Foswiki web
with mostly success. However, I am running into a problem with user
registration especially with usernames from the previous TWiki install.
I believe this might have happened right after I upgraded to version
1.1.3 but I remain unsure.

I want to reregister as a user using the same WikiWord composed of my
name DougSampson but when I attempt to register as such, it tells me
that WikiWord has been registered. Next, I removed that user from the
.htpasswd file and also from the WikiUsers list. But when I attempt to
register again, I still keep getting the duplication registration
message over and over. I also notice that the UserForm is not processed
correctly for that user. I see the addition to the UserList, and it
appears in the .htpasswd file though but I do not see that WikiUser in
the UserListByDateJoined nor do I see it in UserListByLocation. It
appears that the registration process aborts somewhere along the way.

I've used this link:
http://foswiki.org/System/ManagingUsers#Removing_User_Accounts to try to
troubleshoot to no avail. I am able to create other user accounts just
fine. It's just this one WikiUser name that I am unable to recreate. I
suspect there is more to this than what is documented in the link above.

~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Arthur Clemens
Did you also remove the user topic from the users web?

Arthur

On 22 apr 2011, at 23:49, Doug Sampson wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been trying to upgrade an existing TWiki setup to a Foswiki web
> with mostly success. However, I am running into a problem with user
> registration especially with usernames from the previous TWiki install.
> I believe this might have happened right after I upgraded to version
> 1.1.3 but I remain unsure.
>
> I want to reregister as a user using the same WikiWord composed of my
> name DougSampson but when I attempt to register as such, it tells me
> that WikiWord has been registered. Next, I removed that user from the
> .htpasswd file and also from the WikiUsers list. But when I attempt to
> register again, I still keep getting the duplication registration
> message over and over. I also notice that the UserForm is not processed
> correctly for that user. I see the addition to the UserList, and it
> appears in the .htpasswd file though but I do not see that WikiUser in
> the UserListByDateJoined nor do I see it in UserListByLocation. It
> appears that the registration process aborts somewhere along the way.
>
> I've used this link:
> http://foswiki.org/System/ManagingUsers#Removing_User_Accounts to try to
> troubleshoot to no avail. I am able to create other user accounts just
> fine. It's just this one WikiUser name that I am unable to recreate. I
> suspect there is more to this than what is documented in the link above.
>
> ~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson
The DougSampson topic is no longer listed as a child topic of WikiUsers
if that's what you mean?

~Doug

You wrote:

        Next, I removed that user from the .htpasswd file and also from the WikiUsers list.

That means that one step is missing: removing the user topic itself (deleting it from the file system or moving it to Trash web).

Arthur

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson
> > The DougSampson topic is no longer listed as a child topic of
> WikiUsers
> > if that's what you mean?
>
> You wrote:
>
> Next, I removed that user from the .htpasswd file and also
> from the WikiUsers list.
>
> That means that one step is missing: removing the user topic itself
> (deleting it from the file system or moving it to Trash web).

Okay, here's what I did to remove my presence from Foswiki:

1) Removed my entry in .htpasswd;

2) deleted DougSampson.txt and DougSampson.txt,v from the Main
subdirectory; and

3) edited WikiUsers to remove the DougSampson line.

Then I head off to the user registration page and use DougSampson as the
wiki username and supply the rest of the required login information.
Next I am presented with a logon screen which I know to be incorrect.
What I should be seeing at that point is an informative screen telling
me that an email has been sent to my email address and to reply to it.
When I attempt to log onto that logon screen, it bombs with the
following text message:

Attention

You are already registered
You cannot register twice, the name 'DougSampson' is already registered.

Did you want to reset DougSampson's password?

Alternatively hit back to go back to UserRegistration and choose a
different username.

Please contact [hidden email] if you have any questions.

Hm? Not sure exactly what specific steps are required to "remove my user
topic from the users web". Any specific instruction would be greatly
helpful here.

~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

George (Foswiki)
Are you running on a FastCGI or ModPerl system?

I've never seen anything like you describe - removing the topic as you
describe should be sufficient.  Just wondering if for some reason the
old user information is being Cached somehow and still detected by the
TopicUserMapper.  If you are using persistent perl, and killing the
FastCGI handlers or bouncing Apache after you have removed the user
topic gives different results, it might give some hints to the issue.

Georg

On 04/22/2011 09:38 PM, Doug Sampson wrote:

>>> The DougSampson topic is no longer listed as a child topic of
>> WikiUsers
>>> if that's what you mean?
>> You wrote:
>>
>> Next, I removed that user from the .htpasswd file and also
>> from the WikiUsers list.
>>
>> That means that one step is missing: removing the user topic itself
>> (deleting it from the file system or moving it to Trash web).
>>
> Okay, here's what I did to remove my presence from Foswiki:
>
> 1) Removed my entry in .htpasswd;
>
> 2) deleted DougSampson.txt and DougSampson.txt,v from the Main
> subdirectory; and
>
> 3) edited WikiUsers to remove the DougSampson line.
>
> Then I head off to the user registration page and use DougSampson as the
> wiki username and supply the rest of the required login information.
> Next I am presented with a logon screen which I know to be incorrect.
> What I should be seeing at that point is an informative screen telling
> me that an email has been sent to my email address and to reply to it.
> When I attempt to log onto that logon screen, it bombs with the
> following text message:
>
> Attention
>
> You are already registered
> You cannot register twice, the name 'DougSampson' is already registered.
>
> Did you want to reset DougSampson's password?
>
> Alternatively hit back to go back to UserRegistration and choose a
> different username.
>
> Please contact [hidden email] if you have any questions.
>
> Hm? Not sure exactly what specific steps are required to "remove my user
> topic from the users web". Any specific instruction would be greatly
> helpful here.
>
> ~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson
> Are you running on a FastCGI or ModPerl system?
>
> I've never seen anything like you describe - removing the topic as
> you
> describe should be sufficient.  Just wondering if for some reason
> the
> old user information is being Cached somehow and still detected by
> the
> TopicUserMapper.  If you are using persistent perl, and killing the
> FastCGI handlers or bouncing Apache after you have removed the user
> topic gives different results, it might give some hints to the
> issue.

I don't believe I am running either FastCGI or ModPerl. How do I verify
this?

~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

George (Foswiki)
If you don't know, then you probably are not using either of them, but
briefly.  ... You would probably have installed either the
FastCGIEngineContrib or ModPerlEngineContrib (though there are ways to
use mod_perl without the contrib).  The use of these contribs is
configured in your Apache configuration.   You will find references to
one or the other in the Apache config.

If you are using something other than Apache,  let us know.

George

On 04/25/2011 03:17 PM, Doug Sampson wrote:

>> Are you running on a FastCGI or ModPerl system?
>>
>> I've never seen anything like you describe - removing the topic as
>> you
>> describe should be sufficient.  Just wondering if for some reason
>> the
>> old user information is being Cached somehow and still detected by
>> the
>> TopicUserMapper.  If you are using persistent perl, and killing the
>> FastCGI handlers or bouncing Apache after you have removed the user
>> topic gives different results, it might give some hints to the
>> issue.
>>
> I don't believe I am running either FastCGI or ModPerl. How do I verify
> this?
>
> ~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson

Here's an update. I discovered that mediawiki was already installed on the server- uninstalled it. Restarted apache. Unchecked the TWiki compatibility plugin to try to rule out any bugs with TWiki compatibility. Tried user registration while logged in as admin. Here's a screen capture:

Okay, I log out as admin and now am at the login or register page. I try registering as DougSampson. Here’s another screen capture:

I think we’re getting somewhere here but how do I fix this?

~Doug

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Oliver Krüger
<base href="x-msg://3/">
<image001.png>

I guess your Main web (or whatever your users web is) is not world writable. Afaik the system user RegistrationAgent needs write access to the Main web in order to create the home topic of the new user.

<image002.png>

Did you use a customized or outdated version of the registration page? System.UserRegistration should use a html <form> with method=post.

- Oliver

--
Oliver Krüger

Re: cannot register user- says already registered?

Doug Sampson
<base href="x-msg://9/">

I decided to rebuild from scratch as I couldn’t figure out exactly where the problems were coming from. After reinstalling, I can now safely say that I am able to add myself as an user. The web is up and functioning normally. Thanks to those who tried to help me.

~Doug