fastcgi + nginx

Aaron Fuleki
Hey folks,

I'm trying to follow the fascgi/nginx docs to bring a FW 2.1.2 instance up on a clean Debian Jessie VM (installed only nginx, sudo, vim, and FW req's). I copied the example defaults and init scripts into place, updating the path and ports to match my environment, verified all was executable, but service foswiki start just says this:

foswiki.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

Googling that seems to center on two likely causes (windows line endings or a typo), but I've triple-checked all of that. Can someone please verify if the defaults and init script in the 2.1.2 release package work? It's entirely possible that I'm staring a typo in the face, but it looks good to me.

-Aaron

------------------------------------
Aaron Fuleki
Instructional Technologist
Denison University
+1.740.587.5752
------------------------------------

Re: fastcgi + nginx

George Clark-2
Has debian switched over to systemd for init?   Nobody has updated the init scripts to the new init system.

Several have asked about it but nobody has offered to contribute back a working script,

George

On 05/09/2016 03:22 PM, Aaron Fuleki wrote:
[...]

Chris Hoefler
Right, so Debian Jessie now uses systemd, so you need a couple of extra steps.
  1) Use update-rc.d to create rc.d symlinks for the foswiki init script (make sure it is in /etc/init.d and executable)
  2) Execute "systemctl daemon-reload" to auto-generate a systemd service unit file for that script.

Then you should be able to control it with the "service xxx start/stop" command, and it should autostart at boot.

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 2:22 PM, Aaron Fuleki <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris Hoefler, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Straight Lab
Texas A&M University
2128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2128

Re: fastcgi + nginx

Chris Hoefler
Yes, Debian Jessie now uses systemd.

A service file should be relatively easy to generate since it is just spawning a daemon. I can look into it. In the meantime, the systemd-sysv-generator should provide sufficient backwards-compatibility for most needs.

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM, George Clark <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oh shoot, I completely forgot about that, this being my first Jessie build. The following steps (after step 3 on FoswikiOnNginx) got the foswiki-fastcgi service running:

sudo update-rc.d foswiki defaults
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo service foswiki start

I'll see what other bumps I hit, and update the topic accordingly.

Thanks, Chris!

-Aaron