funny error with SolrPlugin

Chris Hoefler
We recently started using SolrPlugin for indexing and searching. It works very well and we are happy with it. However, since we've started using it we've been getting a sporadic error. The wiki will just stop working and give back the error,

"Insecure dependency in require while running with -T switch at /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Plugins/SolrPlugin/Search.pm line 21"

The line in question is,

"require Foswiki::Func ();"

so I can't imagine what the problem is and I am not sure how to approach debugging it. If I restart the webserver, everything goes back to normal, but the error will show up again in a few days.

Any ideas?

Re: funny error with SolrPlugin

Michael Daum-2
On Thursday 21 May 2015 09:08:45 Chris Hoefler wrote:

> We recently started using SolrPlugin for indexing and searching. It works
> very well and we are happy with it. However, since we've started using it
> we've been getting a sporadic error. The wiki will just stop working and
> give back the error,
>
> "Insecure dependency in require while running with -T switch at
> /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Plugins/SolrPlugin/Search.pm line 21"
>
> The line in question is,
>
> "require Foswiki::Func ();"
>
> so I can't imagine what the problem is and I am not sure how to approach
> debugging it. If I restart the webserver, everything goes back to normal,
> but the error will show up again in a few days.
>
> Any ideas?

Idea 1: disable $Foswiki::cfg{UseLocale}

Idea 2: disable -T switch in foswiki.fcgi

Michael.

--
-- Michael Daum Consulting
-- Wissensmanagement und Intranet-Technologie

Re: funny error with SolrPlugin

Chris Hoefler
Hmm, interesting, ok.

So, we need UseLocale because otherwise the solrindexing fails, but I can try 2). I don't see a -T switch in foswiki.fcgi, though. All I see is,

eval { eval substr( $0, 0, 0 ) };
Foswiki::Engine::FastCGI::reExec() unless $@ =~ /^Insecure dependency in eval/;

would it be somewhere is Foswiki::Engine::FastCGI?

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Michael Daum <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 21 May 2015 09:08:45 Chris Hoefler wrote:
> We recently started using SolrPlugin for indexing and searching. It works
> very well and we are happy with it. However, since we've started using it
> we've been getting a sporadic error. The wiki will just stop working and
> give back the error,
>
> "Insecure dependency in require while running with -T switch at
> /var/www/foswiki/lib/Foswiki/Plugins/SolrPlugin/Search.pm line 21"
>
> The line in question is,
>
> "require Foswiki::Func ();"
>
> so I can't imagine what the problem is and I am not sure how to approach
> debugging it. If I restart the webserver, everything goes back to normal,
> but the error will show up again in a few days.
>
> Any ideas?

Idea 1: disable $Foswiki::cfg{UseLocale}

Idea 2: disable -T switch in foswiki.fcgi

Michael.

--
-- Michael Daum Consulting
-- Wissensmanagement und Intranet-Technologie
-- http://michaeldaumconsulting.com
-- Tel: <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%2940%2021%2099%2027%2051" value="+494021992751">+49 (0)40 21 99 27 51

Chris Hoefler, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Straight Lab
Texas A&M University
2128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2128

On Thursday 21 May 2015 09:45:23 Chris Hoefler wrote:
> Hmm, interesting, ok.
>
> So, we need UseLocale because otherwise the solrindexing fails

UseLocale is not required for Solr.

> , but I can
> try 2). I don't see a -T switch in foswiki.fcgi, though. All I see is,
>
> eval { eval substr( $0, 0, 0 ) };
> Foswiki::Engine::FastCGI::reExec() unless $@ =~ /^Insecure dependency in
> eval/;

Ah okay. Well update FastCGIEngineContrib first to get rid of this. Note that the upcoming
Foswiki-1.2.0 will have all taint flags removed from (F)CGI scripts.

Actually perl's locales can't be used together with taint mode. To be safe you are best off
disabling both: locales & taint mode.

Michael.

--
-- Michael Daum Consulting
-- Wissensmanagement und Intranet-Technologie
-- http://michaeldaumconsulting.com
-- Tel: +49 (0)40 21 99 27 51

Fwd: funny error with SolrPlugin

Chris Hoefler

UseLocale is not required for Solr.

Ah, ok. When I first set up SolrPlugin, the solrindexing was giving me this error,

ERROR: 500 Server Error: {"responseHeader":{"status":500,"QTime":2},"error":{"msg":"[com.ctc.wstx.exc.WstxLazyException] Invalid UTF-8 start byte 0xa0 (at char #749, byte #127)",

on a large number of topics. The error disappeared when I enabled UseLocale. But now, digging into this further, I realize the problem is with {Site}{CharSet}. The default is iso-8859-1, but my locale is utf8. Setting {Site}{CharSet} to utf-8 fixes the problem. I guess I should have caught this earlier, but it works now.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Michael Daum <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thursday 21 May 2015 09:45:23 Chris Hoefler wrote:
> Hmm, interesting, ok.
>
> So, we need UseLocale because otherwise the solrindexing fails

UseLocale is not required for Solr.

> , but I can
> try 2). I don't see a -T switch in foswiki.fcgi, though. All I see is,
>
> eval { eval substr( $0, 0, 0 ) };
> Foswiki::Engine::FastCGI::reExec() unless $@ =~ /^Insecure dependency in
> eval/;

Ah okay. Well update FastCGIEngineContrib first to get rid of this. Note that the upcoming
Foswiki-1.2.0 will have all taint flags removed from (F)CGI scripts.

Actually perl's locales can't be used together with taint mode. To be safe you are best off
disabling both: locales & taint mode.

Michael.

--
-- Michael Daum Consulting
-- Wissensmanagement und Intranet-Technologie
-- http://michaeldaumconsulting.com
-- Tel: <a href="tel:%2B49%20%280%2940%2021%2099%2027%2051" value="+494021992751" target="_blank">+49 (0)40 21 99 27 51